Author Topic: Out in the cold  (Read 1645 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Out in the cold
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:32:57 »
It's no good due to lack of window space and plants needing potting on somethings go to make the one way trip to the greenhouse on the lottie.

Its to far away to snatch them back if a frost is due (tho metcheck doesn't predict any for the next 14 days. So which of the following should go, in your opinions.

Sweetcorn
Toms Gardeners Delight
Toms Beef (very big plants already)
Toms money maker
Chillis various
Courgette
Butternut squash
Aubergine
Melon

I have had some sacrificial toms in the greenhouse for a while and although they haven't died they have been checked by the cooler temps.

Any advice. and should i pot on the toms or go straight into the borders?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Out in the cold
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 13:24:52 »
All of the mentioned items, except for courgettes and melon are currently residing in my unheated greenhouse, coping, but not growing wildly. Perhaps the sweetcorn are the least susceptible to lower temperatures? Courgettes will endure cool, but obviously not frosts.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 18:38:58 »
Aubergines are really tircky - or the ones that I've grown have been - so I'd keep that inside until the night temperatures are much higher.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 19:22:43 »
all my tomatoes moved outside onto the balcony 10 days ago. as did the basil
peppers and aubergines have followed this week - i noticed the stopped growing upwards and have bulked out their stems, which is what i wanted.

i would keep the cucs/melons at home, but the rest could certainly go under glass, or somewhere sheltered against a house wall or some such
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal