Author Topic: killing off a tree stump  (Read 17142 times)

sunflower76

• Not So New ...
killing off a tree stump
« on: April 19, 2006, 19:57:17 »
I have two Elder tree stumps at my allotment which I would to be rid of. Every year they start to sprout leaves and branches and every year I cut it back it all back as they are in awkward places and they attract a lot of blackfly. If I were to cut off all shoots as soon as they came through would it kill the bloming things off once and for all?

They are too big to dig out and I don't want to use a poison on them as they are close to where I grow my veggies. Any other suggestions welcome.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: killing off a tree stump
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 20:19:51 »
the more you cut it the more it will grow.

You need to drill some holes into the trunk and pour some salt or similar down it to try to kill it. or dig a trench around the stump and axe the main roots out, cutting off its water supply.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 20:24:18 »
I heard driving lots of copper nails into the trunk will kill it eventually although I think it is a very slow process. ::)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 20:41:38 »
ive heard that. just think it would take longer aswell trying to find the nails!!

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 20:43:16 »
Adam - never heard of that before so thanks will give it a try - there is bound to be one appearing from somewhere.

I was on a course and this lad recounted a tale of someone hanging a bird feeder on a tree using a copper nail - with deadly effect.

Sunflower76 -I know you said you didnt want to use poison, the one sure way of being rid of it is to cut it down so you have a bare cut trunk and then paint on concentrated roundup.  Will knock it back no problem,  the stump will still have to be dug out at the end of the season.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 20:47:49 »
..they attract a lot of blackfly.....

Maybe the blackfly aren't going elsewhere?
I had some success with tree stumps by hacking at them with an axe and also building my bonfire in that spot.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 20:55:57 »
I had some success with tree stumps by hacking at them with an axe and also building my bonfire in that spot.

the bonfire work. straight over the top. dries it out completly and skins over the top.  just like how you stop a cut from bleeding!  :D

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 21:07:49 »
Ammonium sulphamate (trade name Deep Root) will do it. Not a poison as it breaks down naturally. More effective than glyphosate (Roundup)

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 21:43:19 »
ive had the same problem in the past,i drilled some half inch holes 2 inch deep around the stump,bought some dax root out from my local garden centre put the granules in the drill holes sealed them with putty 18 months later i noticed the stump had started to rot,i just waited until it was completely dead then used a sharp axe to smash it to pieces,i hope this is of a help to you.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:04:24 »
I've tried copper nails (you can get them from any marine chandler) with no success at all. Has anyone had any success with them?

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 11:05:51 »
Ammonium sulphamate (trade name Deep Root) will do it. Not a poison as it breaks down naturally. More effective than glyphosate (Roundup)

Used that on rogue trees too close to the house & branmbles with success.
drill holes in top of trunk *and* separate the bark from the tree (but making sure they bark is still attached to tree) shove the crystals in the holes & between the tree & bark, cover with thick plastic and tie down well around the trunk.  it'll take a while for it to rot the roots.

Never had the poison affect other plants unless disolving it with liquid and watering the brambles.  Lost part of a hedge and kept the half brambles with that method!

Dixie

• Not So New ...
  • we all have a purpose
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:28:36 »
I used Deep Root and although it is working it has taken years, I don't think there is an easy or quick answer for getting rid of tree stumps - just time and patience. :)
don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 00:19:37 »
I recommend 'Root Out' - as it kills the tree and then converts into a fertiliser, so it does some good!

http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

Works within days/weeks, depending on the size of the culprit.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 20:46:59 »
Cut them as close to the ground as you can. Brush on a strong mixture of Glysophate onto ALL bark and around the ring of bark and cambium on top of the stump. That will sort it. You cut them low so less weedkiller is needed.
PM me if you want mixture strength. One has to be an aproved adviser or some such thing by law so cant say here. ::)

The chemicals mentioned by others are good but I think you can get run off problems. Roundup is inactivated in the soil so run off is not a problem.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 21:06:47 »
I cut down a 20 metre row of 20 year old conifers. When the bulk of the trees was out of the way, I dug around each stump about 6" down and sawed off that as low as I could get and just covered the stumps woth soil. That was 10 years ago and I haven't seen a sign of them to-date. Maybe doesn't work for all tree types, but it sure did on conifers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 22:00:58 »
Conifers won't regenerate from old wood, while other trees will, and some of them (such as elm, the 'Worcester weed')  will also regrow from the roots.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 22:35:01 »
A couple of days ago a chap was talking about killing a sawn-down tree by drilling into the centre and filling the hole with diesel.....dunno.

This thing about copper killing plants

I'm wanting to erect 3 metal arches and this year grow runner beans around them. Painted Lady. Pretty and practical I thought :D  To erect the arches it was suggested that I hammer lengths of copper pipe (which, surprisingly, I happen to have) into the ground and then slot the arches into them. But would the copper kill the bean plants?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 07:44:02 »
No, but if you keep painting copper sulphate onto the leaves it will. When I was a kid, we moved into a house where the garden was overwhelmed by the stuff; that's how I eventually killed it. Never known anything so effective.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 09:07:07 »
Thanks for the reassurance Robert - thought it was too good to be true - lengths of copper piping going spare & the perfect solution to keeping the arches stable. I'll get on with it over the weekend, then.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 17:58:13 »
Re the comment that conifers will not regenerate from old wood, yew is an exception. It is interestingly a conifer and not a softwood but a hardwood.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal