Author Topic: Is there such a Clematis?  (Read 2419 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Is there such a Clematis?
« on: April 17, 2006, 20:25:45 »
Hi.  I'm not a big fan of Clematis as a rule but I am looking for something to grow up part a north facing 6 foot fence.  Is there an evergreen, spring flowering, scented Clematis I could grow in a pot which wouldn't get out of hand? 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Is there such a Clematis?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 20:39:11 »
The only spring flowering evergreen scented clematis I can think off is C.armandii, but that is a fairly big growing one. What effect growing in a pot would have on its dimensions I do not know.
Gardening is the great leveller.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 20:51:26 »
I was just reading Jane Perrone's blog a minute ago and she mentions the evergreen Clematis cirrhosa in today's entry.

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 21:06:17 »
Thank you both.  I have to say that C.armandii was the only one I could find in my books that might fit the bill but I'm concerned that it will end up scrambling over the fence and flowering for the neighbours rather than for me!  Perhaps others will know the effect of growing it in pots.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 22:02:57 »
As far as I am aware none of the forms of Cirrhosa are scented though and they mostly flower over winter.
Gardening is the great leveller.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 22:37:22 »
I have armandii, does well north/west dont let it face east the cold winds and frost will kill it off.
Mine is in the ground with a fern to shade the roots in summer. They do like the roots damp and shade so how a pot will do I dont know. You could try a large pot with a fern growing in but make sure it is watered?. You could trim to size to keep it under some control.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 19:41:48 »
Thanks, Teresa.  I have over a hundred pots in the shady part of my garden so keeping the roots cool is not a problem.  A friend has also suggested I consider C. 'Early Sensation' and C.Montana 'Tetrarose' so now I have lots of ideas.   :)

G xx

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 20:22:53 »

Hi hope this works photo of mine 3/4 years old now and stunning just waiting for hubby to build something to hold her.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 21:52:11 by teresa »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 20:48:12 »
Try this website.  It lists loads.  YIt's a research project so you have to register and answer some questions about clematis you have grown and then you can consult the database.
Obxx - Vendée France

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 21:45:14 »
Link missing?

G xx

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 14:23:57 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 18:08:00 »
WOW what a fab site.   ;D  Thanks so much for sharing.  I'll be there for hours!

G xx

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:54 »
That's the one.  Sorry I messed up the posting.
Obxx - Vendée France

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 18:32:04 »
LOL Obbelix, if I had a pound for every time I've send a message saying 'see attached' with no attachment, I'd be a rich Georgie.  ;D

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal