Author Topic: newbie... help needed!  (Read 1185 times)

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
newbie... help needed!
« on: April 17, 2006, 21:41:41 »
have just got my plot... it's very fine, sandy soil and lots of stones too. it's reclaimed wasteland that's just been cleared, the water board have been driving vans and machines over it to reach the stream in the wood, and there's still loads of bramble stumps in it! never mind... i like a challenge!

Need to get started on putting some stuff in to get growing & thought about raised beds for this year as the soil is so bad... but here's where i need help... do i have to put in extra soil as well as compost & manure to make the bed "raised" & if so, where do i get the extra soil? surely digging from another bit of the plot is "robbing peter to pay paul"... sorry to sound thick!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: newbie... help needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 21:58:56 »
Hi Tabbycat! If you check the search bit at the top there are lots of tips and hints about this very thing!

Some people choose to do the "no dig" method and put cardboard down, pile manure/compost on top and then cover with weed supressant fabric and plant into that. You get great crops, and after some time the weeds underneath have died off.

Try the "wiki" for methods of cultivation also. Most of all, enjoy!!

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 22:16:38 »
thanks!
have done a bit of searching around and made notes. only discovered this site yesterday evening.. it's fantastic! my husband thinks that i have finally gone insane ( he doesn't understand the lure of "grow your own"!). have to say that standing looking at my very own 80 ft long plot is unbelievably daunting... think that i am just going to concentrate on the bit by the path for now and not look up at the rest!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 22:57:16 »
Hi and welcome Tabbycat.  Any chance of some pics?

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 23:02:30 »
will try to work out how to put pics up... am very technically challenged!

will ask my husband for help and just know that he'll say "why do u need a pic if you're just talking about plants and stuff?"

he has NO idea!

must go now as the real tabby cat is shouting at mw to feed her!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 19:54:06 »
Plus a picture of the real tabbycat Tabbycat ;D

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 10:37:11 »
will do...

roy sent me some instructions for uploading pics so will try it out,