Author Topic: URGENT  (Read 5366 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
URGENT
« on: March 08, 2004, 16:54:05 »
Be on the lookout for a message supposed to be from Microsoft - it's a new virus which can destroy your 'puter.

My husband is just in from work and says it's already been causing mayhem!!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re:URGENT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 17:35:17 »
thank you Eileen  will pass the message around the family. Mary :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 17:52:12 »
Oh, God! What next?? = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 17:53:04 »
Is it in the form of an email, or does it appear in the form of an update?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 18:14:15 »
1.  I caught one last week, an e-mail purporting to be from microsoft, with the subject something like "Updates".

Apparently Microsoft NEVER send out such stuff, so whenever you get such an e-mail, it is at least spam, at worst virus-loaded.

2.  There are several other new viruses out this week - one has spoofed my e-mail, so I was getting 70-80 irate bounce backs a day!  Has an attachment "something or other".pif (and probably others)

All best - Gavin

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 19:44:07 »
Gavin hit the nail on the head - it is in the form of an e.mail purporting to be from Microsoft. It contains information about supposed Microsoft security updates.
As mentioned MICROSOFT DO NOT DO THIS so don't open ANYTHING  with their name on it. Once into your computer and e.mail system it then uses your address book to spread the virus.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

SueT

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 19:47:43 »
Thanks for the warning Eileen, much appreciated!  :o :o
Sue

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 20:03:02 »
Must be quite a new one, as I havent had any warnings yet from Symantec, as i did the last couple of times.

How bad is it supposed to be and what does it do?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 21:22:02 »
I dn't think it is new - it's at least a year since I first got one (?); but it's not one of the "virulent and vigourous" b.....ds that spreads like wild fire.  Just slowly and gently, so as not to attract too much attention - or maybe MS are vigourous in stamping it out.

But a real nasty in my book - trading upon people's trust.

All best - Gavin

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 22:55:44 »
someone told me about this virus today have a web addy for it will go find it and put it on
have found it its http://www.ntlworld.com/help/aup/virus_email_netsky.php it will affect all net not just ntl
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 23:02:22 by flower »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 10:00:34 »
Thanks for the warning Eileen but I must be very lucky.  I have had my puter for about 14 months now and have never had any suspect emails.  Friends have told me they have had very unsavoury messages, but so far nothing here.  I wonder why I have been singled out - or maybe I am just tempting fate :o ::)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 09:47:09 »
I am usualy very careful with such things. I dont have a large number of 'wanted' e'mail senders, so can easily spot the ones i want and the ones that are safe. The rest get deleted.

I am not interested in any of the things that the spam emails are trying to offer me.

This is not to say I dont make mistakes, I have accidentaly opened the odd junk mail in the past. Last time I  imported a virus and ended up without the internet connection for nearly a week!

I heard on the news this morning some of the big internet companies (AOL, Microsoft, yahoo) are getting together to try to crack down on spamming and junk emails. As I get a lot i can only welcome this and say the sooner the better  ;D

demonseed

• dig dig dig dig dig dig dig ......relaaaaaaax
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 10:21:06 »
I swear these things cause more damage by the panic they cause than by the actual effect of the virus

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal