Author Topic: weather ponderings and metcheck question  (Read 1167 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
weather ponderings and metcheck question
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:03 »
do you think we're a month behind weather wise? taxi driver last night reckons we are.....

and metcheck, this new frost predictor thing. would you wait until 0% chance of frost to plant out tender plants? do you think that would happen? if not what percentage chance would you risk?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: weather ponderings and metcheck question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:55:32 »
I calculated 27 days by the flowering of my narcissi.  I've been recording their flowering dates for some years, and this is the latest spring by some measure.

I will stick for last frost as per usual - end May/start June. 

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Flowertot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:43:28 »
Going by my daffs - yes we are about a month behind.  They were in full bloom on St Davids Day last year but have only just opened this year.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:23:48 »
Hi legless, I'm not sure what the answer is. Metcheck apparently has the best record for accuracy but I suppose they'll play safe, possibly being a bit pessimistic about temperatures. I love the site though. Makes you wonder what you get with the paid subscription.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but with the lumpy geography here in yorkshire, my own postcode covers me at nearly 1,000 feet, windswept and rainsoaked, and also a warm shaded valley 600ft lower a couple of miles away so it might be worth taking an average of your postcode's topography if yours is similar. After all that, I think I'm tempted to wait. Things seem to catch up anyway if you plant late.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 14:09:09 »
My toad spawn was two weeks later this year than last. But I've only been recording it for two years! My broadies are way behind last year (they were flowering this time last year).

I would not just go on the frost forecast - low temperatures, I think even below 5C can damage some tender plants. I've got a very sheltered garden in greater london, but would wait until at least mid-May to harden things off. (although this year I reckon it will be later).
gone to pot :D

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 16:51:03 »
Can someone explain to me how the FrostRisk prediction works on metcheck?

It gives you percentage chance of air frost and ground frost - but which is worse? Also, it doesn't seem to tie up with the temperature predictions for the same day. e.g it gives a 100% risk of air frost tomorrow at 15:00 hours but the temperature at that time is 9degC.

I'm confused?  ???

Robsa

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 18:40:57 »
Watch out for the sun tomorrow evening!! In the Cotswolds, at least.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/general/weather19042.jpg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal