Author Topic: Vanishing strawberries  (Read 1361 times)

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
Vanishing strawberries
« on: April 15, 2006, 19:42:36 »
I planted strawberry plants last Autumn, and have not been too concerned when they seemed to vanish. However, I am now thinking they should be showing signs of life. When do they start looking lively ? Or do I write them off?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Vanishing strawberries
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:09:13 »
You should be seeing something now - there at least should be tightly furled greenery in the centre. Dig one up carefully and have a look at the roots - should also see new fine white roots at this time of year.

Motherwoman

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:13:11 »
If you planted too deep and buried the crowns then they will have died.The top 'crown' should be on the surface.
My idea of a good time is a new seed catalogue to read.

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 14:51:07 »
i cut the tops off some strawberries - and planted in a plastic tub with just enough soil to cover em..  :o i've got a something sprouting   :o

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 16:16:18 »
Thanks for replies. Some have new green leaves, the other 'dead' looking ones have no new roots, they just look like they did when I planted them. Out of 50 plants, I bet a dozen have survived. An expensive loss.

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 21:24:32 »
Update - on closer inspection, and on digging some up to check, I have actually got the grand total of one plant surviving. Is this a record out of 50 plants planted correctly, crowns above the surface, not eaten by anything just dead...

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 13:59:20 »
Did you buy them?  You'd have a  strong case for taking them back and getting your money back - they obviously weren't "fit for the purpose for which they were intended" (Sale of Goods Act 1979).  You might need to stick to your guns a bit to convince them.  Oh, and you don't need a receipt if you paid by cheque or card.

Cheers

Ali

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal