Author Topic: Wild Plant Identity, Please  (Read 1330 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Wild Plant Identity, Please
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:32:18 »
I have discovered a plant trying to take over my bog garden, & I am not certain wether or not to zap it, or simply try to keep it under control. It has very small, trefoil leaves, and my first thought was Bird's Foot Trefoil, however, the book says that this plant will have a pair of leaflets at the base of each trefoil - mine does not. It is very low growing, branches off like a demented family tree, and throws out roots every couple of inches along the stems. Its grip on the soil is therefore tenacious, and getting rid of it will be a ******, but it is obvious that nothing else will grow through it. The trefoil grows at the end of a very short stalk, the three leaves are themselves stalkless, blunt, and have a tendency to form into cups.
Any ideas please?
JeremyB

Since posting this, I have discovered that I had a BFT in an assortment of bog plants waiting to be planted. Quite different from above. Besides the two leaflets mentioned, my BFT has a quite upright format, not a low, trailing one.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:41:52 by Svengali »

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Wild Plant Identity, Please
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 13:55:30 »
Could it be an Oxalis of some type?

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 20:19:11 »
I think that this may be possible. A variety Procumbent Yellow Sorrel is apparently trailing with rooting stems. The leaves seem rather heart-shaped for my plant, but I will check it in daylight again tomorrow.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 20:49:39 »
Here is a brilliant resource for identifying wild flowers. Please let us know what it is when you find out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal