Author Topic: Chitting parsnip seed  (Read 11040 times)

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
Chitting parsnip seed
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:43:38 »
I read somewhere that chitting parsnip seed gives better results than sowing directly into the ground. It also means you can sow the seed later than normal but now I can't remember where I read it. Does anyone have any info on this method

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Chitting parsnip seed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:53:59 »
I vaguely remember reading something somewhere too. I have seen parsnip seed strips for sale, so I thought I'd make my own.

I'm going to try a bit of an experiment - I'm going to sow seeds in rows on kitchen roll, cover with another piece of kitchen roll and then moisten. Put in plastic bag, seal and place in warm, light place.

That same day I will sow seeds direct, mixed with radishes.

When (hopefully, when not if!) the seeds on paper germinate, I will cut the paper into strips, place in seed drill and cover with soil.

To keep the experiment pure, both sets of seeds will be subject to the same planting and growing conditions.

I'm also going to try this in deep pots as well.
gone to pot :D

rdak

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 11:54:38 »
I am going to sow them on damp kitchen paper and hopefully this should help them germinate. Then going to place the kitchen paper on the soil and lightly cover with compost. This method has been recommended to me.

Does anyone pre-germinate pea seeds by soaking in water?

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 12:36:48 »
A couple of things come to mind here with chitting.

Firstly it is a good and well tested idea.

But don't forget the purpose of it, and that is because they are notoriously poor germinators down to about 50-60% at times.

However the same happens when you chit them but at least you are in a position to select the ones that do germinate  and plant them on.

What I am getting at is; those of you that are growing in strips, may find you have to cut your strips up because even here there will be gaps.

A way I have found for direct sowing is to firstly form a 'vee' shaped hole where I am about to sow them.

I fill this with seived compost, soak it well, sow seeds quite thickly, then lightly cover.

Depending upon the weather I might even cover them to keep the temp' up and chase on germination.

Then when they are big enough to handle I thin them out to their required spacings.

The Gardener

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 17:12:23 »
Having had a bad experience 4 years ago (no germination from 3 sowings of carrots and parsnips - the sowing was followed by weather which was too hot (the ground dried out), too cold or too wet.

I tried chitting by mixing some seed with vermiculite in a poly bag then a little water. They were placed in the dark in a cool bedroom until tiny roots were spotted (it only took a week). Then they were sowed in stations (spacing as per seed packet final spacing) a little deeper than I sow the seed and lo and behold it worked!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 18:47:29 »
I pre-germinate most of my seeds - if only to make sure that they are viable.   I use damp kitchen paper in a margarine tub (lid on) on a warmish windowsill

Sweet peas and broad beans last autumn and Ross the mange tout seeds are in the tub as I type!  Once they germinate I put them into roottrainers.  

Like the idea with vermiculite phil - no direct sown carrots germinated for me last year, so I'll give this a try (I think the ants ate or removed them as they were under fleece).  Resorted to Parmex in modules in the end ...wasn't keen on the taste or texture, so I'll add this to my list of good ideas to try!

AC x
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 22:22:33 »
I have never tried this, but think I will give it a go with the parsnips.  I am the only family member that likes them I only want a few - it would be a shame to sow say 15 seeds and none come up.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 11:01:49 »
An hour after I posted this thread I found the article. It was in Garden News. The author there recommended putting the seed on damp kitchen roll in a margarine tub. He spritzed with tepid water every 2 days until shoots appeared then planted straight into allotment. Hope this helps others

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 11:41:20 »
Hi Miss B, any chance you could supply the link to that article?

jams  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 17:28:47 »
Well, I bunged a few parsnip seeds into a tray in my greenhouse, and the lot have germinated!  :o  I know there is always the risk of ending up with tennis ball parsnips rather than long slender roots, but as it is only me, and as they are not for showing, only for me to enjoy, I don't care!  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 16:19:35 »
The Garden News article was printed and said only what was in Miss B's snip - you could use sand or vermiculite instead of kitchen paper - or use EJ's method if you want to join her round parsnip fan club
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 16:20:19 by philcooper »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 16:22:51 »
I think round ones would be rather a novelty! Lovely roasted in with the tatties. (you could maybe pass some onto the girls and ava and pretend they are pots, or would that be a waste of parsnips?)

I might give it a try!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 16:26:07 »
I read somewhere that, prior to Sir Walter's introduction of potatoes, parsnips were the main vegetable.

The potato took over because of its more savoury taste

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 22:15:11 »
I lurve parsnips, but the kids and Ava aren't interested at all, so it would be a waste of a delish sweetly savoury veg.  I shall take photos of my 'snips for sure.  ;D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:45 »
Have read that Parsnips were used as a sweet rather than a vegetable in the war years.

So now you can have it in each course of a three course meal if you like. ;D

The Gardener

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 15:01:19 »
Dear E J,

As you lurv parsnips, you MUST try parmesan baked parsnips as they are heaven ( this recipe freezes well).

1lb parsnips
3oz plain flour
1oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
oil
butter

Pre-heat oven to gas 6, 400F, 200C.
Combine flour,cheese & seasoning.prepare parsnips, removing any woody centres, and cut into chunks.
Boil them for 3 mins. Then drain and WHILE THEY ARE STILL STEAMING drop them into parmesan/flour mixture.
You can either cook or freeze at this point.
To bake, place solid roasting tin in oven with enough oil to cover base. When oil is hot add parsnips, baste with hot fat, place in centre of oven.
Bake for about 15 mins, then turn them over and bake further for 15-20 mins until crisp and golden. HEAVENLY.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 15:03:37 »
Debs I use this recipe too, and it is indeed a goody  ;D  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 15:20:37 »
Another "interesting" parsnip fact is that they are not subject to the EU's control of vegetable varieties - hence the large number of old varieties that are available - which is good.

Ther reason, I was told, was that when the list of veg to be controled was drawn up, the French claimed that it was not a veg - it is fodder ie only for feeding to animals

So if you have a French guest you want to get rid of, you could always put parsnips on the menu

jethro

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 15:41:29 »
Or frogs legs  ;D mon ami
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 15:42:19 by jethro »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 15:57:48 »
debs - sounds delish! must try that one.

Phil - the french don't know what they are missing. Or I'm an animal. Parsnips are just the bestest thing to eat. Possibly second only to mushrooms. But it really depends on my mood. Roast parsnips or chocolate - I'd take the 'snips any day!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal