Author Topic: How can I get good germination rates - Chillies  (Read 1949 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
How can I get good germination rates - Chillies
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:15:07 »
I haven't had much success with chilli seeds so far. Many failed to germinate including ones I saved from my plants last year. They were sown in pots of compost and then put in a propagator. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. ???
Now I've got 10 varieties of chilli seeds from ebay and I want to have a success this time.
Can I chit chilli seeds like squash seeds?

The varieties I have are:
Cayenne
Tabasco
Jalapeno
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Aji rojo
Rocoto yellow
Thai bangkok upright
Purple tiger
Tepin
Hot banana

Any tip would be really appreciated. :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: How can I get good germination rates - Chillies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:26:38 »
In what/ at what temp/ how deep/when etc?

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 13:35:12 »
Don't know about the other chillies, but we tried with Jalopeno seeds last year and achieved little succes (5 chillies off two plants).

This year they'll be subjected to good seedling compost and placed on the radiator covered in cling film.  I've read that they prefer a more heat than most (sorry, don't know what temp, useless, eh?) and are best kept indoor untill the heatwave arrives.  I'll then be moving them outdoors into our heat trap garden for some sun.

Will let you know what happens.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 13:38:18 »
They were sown in peat based compost mixed with a bit of sharp sand, about 5mm deep.
Some were sown early February but only one out of dozens of seeds germinated. I sowed some self-collected seeds in late March but they all failed to germinate. I'm now thinking maybe the seeds were sterile or something :-\. I don't know the exact emperature in the propagator but it's on all day and positioned in my bathroom, which is heated in the evening and early morning.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 13:40:41 »
sow into moist seed compost or JI no 1, cover with no more than 2-3 mm of soil, then put in a warm place and keep an eye out for drying out. Best to put in a plastic bag to keep the moisture in. Put in a window at 1st signs of growth.

Remember:
Moist, not wet
Warm, not hot, about 16-210C is fine.
Straight into the light but avoid direct burning sunlight.
Don't put out till well into May

Hope this helps. They normally take between 5-15 days to germinate so quite variable.

I suppose it is possible to chit, but not worth the hassle.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 13:48:49 »
Bennettsleg, I grew some chilies outdoors in the past and few plants gave me a good crop. Japanese chillie (capsicum frutescens) gave me the biggest crop. Jalapeno I grew gave me several peppers from 3 plants so similar to yours. Another successful one was Anaheim - each plant gave me about 8 big peppers.

David, thanks for your advice. :) My compost was quite wet, so that well could be the answer!

David R

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 14:15:50 »
Tora,

Ive been really lucky with chillies so maybe thats all it is, but those are the sort of conditions I germinate them at.

I have grown them indoors and out and have had good results (my freezer is full of chillies - hehehe).

Ive got about 50 Aji this year, they will all go out in the garden as they will get about 4' tall, dont know what im going to do with so many in all honesty ???

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 14:32:36 »
We have had quite a varied germination with our seeds. We sowed about 40 of them in individual modules then popped them in the heated propagator.

I now have some 18 lovely little healthy plants.  A lot of the saved seed didn't germinate,  most of the freshly bought seed did, with of course the obligatory exception :) where all one particular type of saved seed grew like Topsy :)

We started them very early, and the plants are very compact even now.  Average height 2-3" with 3-6 proper leaves. Very slow growing!

Hubby is keeping a very careful eye on them all - finally a plant I can interest him in...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 17:22:20 »
I'm finding that the way to get good germination is to put them in the hot spot on top of the hot water tank.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 13:15:29 »
Mine are all in front of the kitchen window, so in the morning when the sun hits 'em, they get quite warm, but then at night they probably get cold. Anyway, I don't do anything special to them, just keep them indoors until the weather gets properly hot, and keep the bugs off 'em. They attract green fly (?aphids?) like nothing else...

They do take awhile to sprout, usually...mine do anyway. I think it took about 6 weeks for my first lot, and I'm still waiting for the 2nd planting to show themselves.
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 13:20:58 »
I have sown two rows of 5 seeds each in a heated propagator. All five of the long type are doing well, but all five of the birdseye type are still dormant (well, one is just showing the tiniest tip!)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 13:48:10 »
mine germinated on kitchen windowsill 60 ish degrees as soon as they were through the soil i moved them upstairs, which the heat is around 50, grew them on in the windowsill, they seem to be doing well, planted them on Jan 23rd.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 19:19:07 »
Thanks everyone. :) I sowed the 10 varieties today. I added more sand for better drainage this time.
Strangely two varieties of chillies germinated this morning! They are both birdseye type.
I think I would like to sow chilli seeds much earlier next year as well. Sowing now is a bit late, isn't it? I would be lucky to get decent crop from the today's sowings. Thinking of growing some of them in pots so that I can move them easily.

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 19:51:21 »
i planted three types, pinochios nose tepin and aurora. the pinochios nose and aurora have both germinated but only one of the tepin and that is in a heated propogater. temprementle chilli seeds are
takes over your life doesn't it

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 19:54:49 »
Warm, not hot, about 16-210C is fine.

I get far better results at around 30°C.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 20:09:16 »
I'm finding that peppers and aubergines need more than normal house heat.

amphibian

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 20:37:08 »
I'm finding that peppers and aubergines need more than normal house heat.

Definately my experience (though my house has only averaged 10°C over winter)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal