Author Topic: weather 1, David 0  (Read 2084 times)

David R

• Acre
weather 1, David 0
« on: April 15, 2006, 18:00:18 »
>:( >:(

Easter weekend, full of promise for actually getting some work in. It has'nt rained in 14 years, then it all comes now. Bug*er

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: weather 1, David 0
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 19:04:48 »
That`s gardening for you :) Bolton  0 chelsea 2-well it mattered to me

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 19:38:49 »
It's been all right here. I've done a bit of digging and weeding and potted up lots of tomatos.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 19:51:13 »
Not to rub it in or anything, but we've had a glorious day today.  Youngest daughter was with us at the allotment, and resorted to taking her t-shirt off and rolling up her trouser legs, because it was so sunny and warm.  I would have liked to have copied her, but she's 7, and I'm not.  ;)

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.  Hope we have a nice one too, because we're back round to the lottie for some more graft.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 20:03:08 »
Fantastic day here in the North East.  Have spent the day weeding and digging at the lottie.  Would you believe I have even got a little sunburnt (Yes I know, it wasn't  long ago it was snowing !).  :D  I  am hoping for another glorious day tomorrow.  it has been brilliant!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 20:09:09 »
less pleasant than yesterday, back to chilly, but got a bit more of the g/h built, learned that a local timber merchants don't sell suitable timber, learned than b&q won't cut suitable timber to length, never got to wickes and came home not having spent a fortune.

saw a chaffinch in the garden so was happy all in all.

let's turn up the heat a bit tomorrow eh ?   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 20:18:29 »
ooh!yes please-its mr and mrs kittys only day off is sundays :D and we have lots of plans to garden tomorrow-so long as its dry and not too cold-that'll do-sunny would be great but i'm not greedy! ;D
apparently round here-lincolnshire-monday is sposed to be better ...
kitty,sister of plenitude
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 20:26:56 »
Am happy now!
The greenhouse plants are taking off & the night heating can be switched off at last.
Main crop tatties went in yesterday, the soil was friable.
Earlies went in today - after two sessions with the rotovator & a dosing of sharp sand, that plot has very difficult clay. I bunged a load of half rotted stable manure under 'em, & I'll bung a load more on top when they peep through. I'll beat that soil yet!
Onions are poking through, time for a glass of wine!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 20:40:50 »
timber merchants don't sell suitable timber ???  Did you get there around midday?  Perhaps they just wanted to close up and go dig their plots ;) and couldn't be bothered - or did you want it with gold leaf ;D

learned than b&q won't cut suitable timber to length - none of the big diy stores will and B&Q in particular.  Lovely chaps at Homebase did hand saw some to size for me.

Overcast here all day.  Husband and No1 son went to the marina and No2 playing with friends, so I had some quality seed sowing time.  Then had a phone call saying "meet us at the London Apprentice" - no not for a G&T, although would not have said no, but to go for a quick cruise up to Petersham and back.  Me being on the boat is always a cue for the rain to start and it did ::) and I had loads of clothes out on the line to dry.  Grrr

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 20:51:32 »
it was nearly midday as it goes, and they were due to close, but they couldn't do "contact with ground treated" timber.  bunch of buffoons.

am going to phone Wickes on Monday to see if they'll cut and deliver, can't imagine they'll be open tomorrow and there was a slight problem of getting the 8ft lengths into a 5ft boot even with the sun roof open.  i thought this was what men were for, but i was sadly mistaken.  next time i think i'll leave him at home  ::)

best laid plans eh, even if they are impromptu lol

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 21:07:47 »
Beautiful in West Yorkshire today, Dug for 6 hours!!, burnt the back of my neck and sustained various back injuries! But managed to finish planting our potatoes and hopefully if the weather continues will be planting out peas, and sowing carrots and parsnips tomorrow.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 22:13:34 »
I spent 11 hours working in the garden today - the lottie can wait till Monday - and will be back out there tomorrow, body permitting.

Now I think I'll just have one last cup of cofzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 22:30:06 »
they couldn't do "contact with ground treated" timber.  bunch of buffoons.

Think we are a bit off thread here.......but.......treated is treated is treated.  It might only last 8-10 years, but I presume that you just want the greenhouse up so you can grow stuff this year and you'll worry about the foundations crumbling at some point in the future........ggrrrrrrr......it's not like you have to comply with building regs ;)

I had something similar with the scaff board man telling me that they wouldn't be any good for raised beds - but they can prop up tall buildings and take the weight of numerous builder types bouncing over them all day??  he got the drift ;D

Oh and how to fit in 8' length of wood.  Open the rear window behind the drivers seat, then go to front passengers seat and slide back as far as it will go.  Then back to rear window - take wood and slide diagonally into front pax foot well - sticks out a bit, but not alarmingly and not enough to interest the local constabulary ;D  but you will need to leave MrKP at home...........I'm sure he'll be upset ;D

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 10:40:04 »
regarding b&q my OH takes a work bench and saw and cuts the lengths of wood to size in the car park!
It'll be better next year

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 13:26:15 »
No rain in Somerset!!! Took the dogs out at 7;30 and came back in sunshine. Up to the lottie for yet more digging, back now for a large glass of wine. :) :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 13:38:28 »
Mrs KP, have you tried a builders merchants rather than the big DIY stores.  If you go regularly they will cut to length or let you take your own saw and do it yourself like fb's other half does.  Gives a whole new meaning to DIY doesn't it??????
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 16:44:14 »
As usual on Sundays - spent all morning (when it looked sunny outside) in my pit recovering from Saturday night - and now its raining. Never mind - no work tommorow so back down the pub.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal