Author Topic: Dierama - help  (Read 2607 times)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Dierama - help
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:29:21 »
Am trying to grow some from seed - with little succes - they have been in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks and aren't doing anything.

Flossie

terces

• Not So New ...
Re: Dierama - help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:32:45 »
Hi,

I have some growing from seed and looking very much likes blades of grass.  I grew mine on a light window sill, so they will probably need light to germinate.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:36:33 »
Will liberate them from the airing cupboard

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 15:32:10 »
I grew mine from seed, they took a little while, but well worth the wait.

One of my favourite flowers now.

Debs

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 17:54:16 »
Hi,

I grew some from seed last summer and planted them out - they survived outside ok but still small plants - anyone any idea how long until they grow into flowering plant size ?

I sowed some more seed last summer and left in cold frame overwinter - about 6" blades .

good luck - I think patience is needed  .......

regards Gail

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 18:03:34 »
Deeds, you can answer this one for sure!  Thanks to her, I have lashings of them in my garden!  ;D

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 18:20:36 »
Talk of the devil Emma ................;D

They're easiest if you sow the seeds fresh - not a lot ofh elp now, I know.

Sow them on deep pots rather than trays, I use a mixture of ordinary potting compost with about 25% added grit/sharp sand. Water well by standing the pots in a dish of water until you can see the moisture on the top of the compost, they don't need any extra heat, just leave them in a cold greenhouse, and they should germinate within 2-3 weeks.

Leave them in the pot until the next summer,and then pot on into long tom pots, they have quite brittle flesh roots, so take care, they also hate disturbance so pot them early in the summer to allow them to stop sulking and settle in before winter. Plant out the next year as soon as frosts are over and they may flower that summer depending on the species, or they certainly will the next.

Emma I only have 38 different ones now ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 18:26:37 »
Thanks for the help

I hope that I can post some pictures next year!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 18:57:47 »
Is that all Deeds!  ;D  The ones from you are all around my pond and are growing strongly so I keeping everything crossed for a rather special display soon!

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 19:31:00 »
Now then! that was an interesting comment

EJ
  The ones from you are all around my pond and are growing strongly

I have mine in a very overcrowded flower border, but if they survive in a boggy situation, I shall move them. The flowers would look beautiful swaying gracefully over the edge of my pond......

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 19:53:46 »
I've found them to be pretty adaptable, but they hate being really soggy in winter in the main. I have them surviving (and flowering like mad) in soggy soil in deep shade too, but it rarely gets below freezing here.  They do tend to do best in well-drained, but moisture retentive soil. There are so many species and they interbreed like anything to so seed grown plants are always interesting - whatever you get it will be beautiful.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 23:23:40 »
I have mine planted at the side of the pond..........and yes they look gorgeous with the flowers swaying over the water... just like venus's fishing rod.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 08:29:45 »
thanks Mimi,

I didn't want to transplant it to the pond edge and run risk of losing it but I shall now transplant mine this
weekend

Debs :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal