Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 11302 times)

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2006, 18:02:22 »
I have an area that was rotavated this week, it previously was a huge area of brambles, would the artichokes be able to compete with the new brambles that i will obviously be pulling out for years to come?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2006, 21:16:23 »
I think they'll cope with most things! Cut the brambles back as they emerge from the artichokes, and dig them up again when you lift them.

emma h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2006, 22:31:44 »
In my allotment which I've had for 3 months I have a bed full of them which I am digging up as I want to plant potatoes there...I get a bin full from every 6ft row >:(...getting a bit bored of them now  ;D

By digging them up will I have eradicated them or are they there forever? Will my potatoes be OK in that bed?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2006, 22:58:07 »
Brambles are actually relatively easy to remove, the growths are very visible, and can be removed with gloves, no problem. Just be persistent as additional roots grow ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2006, 07:44:00 »
I trim them like a hedge, to about waist height. I have stopped wasting good space on them, and they have to compete (successfully) with nettles and couch grass, and make that area look a bit more organised.

That's such a good idea artichoke, making a good looking weed-suppressing hedge to hide any unsightly bits. I never thought of trimming them, d'oh! Thank you for the tip, and welcome to A4a :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2006, 12:42:58 »
Thanks for the welcome, supersprout, and I'm glad you think it's a good idea. Obviously you lose the flowers, but I have never found them very attractive and the great height they reach can be a nuisance. Being cut back doesn't seem to affect the yield or the size of the tubers, and they throw up lots of side shoots to compensate.

I have read that some people grow climbing beans up the tall ones, but I haven't tried that yet. I prefer my hedges.

My use for the tubers is mainly liquidised to bulk out winter soup, as I don't really like the consistency of whole tubers. A friend has made a good salad of raw sliced artichokes and crisp hot bacon in little bits plus some dressing, which I enjoyed.

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2006, 15:58:37 »
With bacon, now that sounds nice.

I've got mine at Tescos (bogof offer,) chopped them into 2" pieces, bunged them in the ground under membrane (as I have an aversion to weeding), yesterday I had to cu four slots in the membrane to let the little heads through.

At last its started.

(I like the idea of climbing beans, sounds like a good place for Lazy Housewife.)
Cheers
cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2006, 16:27:18 »
I've got mine at Tescos (bogof offer,)

Do you happen to know if they are still on bogof offer?
I've been trying to get hold of some of them without success :-\

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2006, 22:00:29 »
I know this might sound like a silly question but do you guys just buy the JA from tesco's and plant them? I thought you had to buy them from a garden centre? So if i wanted to grow them in a very large pot is there still time to plant them out now?
 ???

Also how deep and how much watering? Everyday?
Do these plants completely die down in winter?

I like the sound of this plant, seems like easy to grow and very fast growing so will do me fine.
Anymore plants like this please let me know as i love fast growing plants  :P

sorry about all the ???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 22:02:32 by cardinalflower »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2006, 22:48:18 »
Presumably, produce bought from a market or Tesco's would be ok. I was given mine, so didn't have to make that decision. I gather that they are incredibly easy to grow. Plant like spuds, that is what I did anyway. Pretty flowers too it seems.

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 22:49:59 »
thanks curry  ;D

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2006, 13:22:39 »
Hooray - two of mine have now poked heads above ground.

Many thanks to all who replied to this thread - I am now living in dread of an endless glut of JAs and their accompanying flatulence :o :o :o

I didn't spot anybody mentioning when it is best to lift them..... when the flowers go to seed?..... when they go brown and fall over?......
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2006, 15:00:16 »
Last year I started with 8 tubers from Tesco....I've just dug the bed over and removed 25Lb of tubers with shoots on them. I've just moved the lot to a new trench along side an unsightly fence to produce a windy wind break. Some of the tubers which hadn't shooted ended up for tea. They still taste lovely. So it appears that the tubers stay ok in the ground all Winter.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2006, 15:31:23 »
I have grown Dwarf Sunray and Fuseau from tubers bought from seed Cats.
The flowers are a bit of a distraction, you actually get better tubers by cutting the tops off at about 5' before the flowers start to form. Fuseau is alot less knobbly and so easier to prepare in the kitchen. The tubers are fully hardy, and in heavy soil getting them all out is the only problem, I'm going to move some to a lighter corner of another plot to see if I get bigger tubers!
They make great soup, and there is a way to prepare them to avoid flatulence, it is caused by the sugar in the tubers that we can't digest but our gut flora enjoy, but I can't remember what it is just at the moment...
 ;D

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2006, 17:52:59 »
I want to grow mine for the foliage and flowers not to eat! :D

weedin project

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2006, 12:37:35 »
Last year I started with 8 tubers from Tesco....I've just dug the bed over and removed 25Lb of tubers with shoots on them. ... it appears that the tubers stay ok in the ground all Winter.
That sounds promising then Dingerbell.

Saddad - earlier in this thread someone mentioned Asafoetida as the anti-flatulence ingredient.   I got some on the strength of the comment and tried it in one of my home-made curries - it works! ;)
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2006, 19:01:38 »
earlier in this thread someone mentioned Asafoetida as the anti-flatulence ingredient.   I got some on the strength of the comment and tried it in one of my home-made curries - it works! ;)

Ooh, did you figure out what proportion of asafoetida to artichoke results in de-flation? ;D Pass on the recipe, please, weedin! :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2006, 19:33:43 »
Yes this discovery could have tremendous impact ... :D

weedin project

• Acre
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2006, 15:37:47 »
Ooh, did you figure out what proportion of asafoetida to artichoke results in de-flation? ;D Pass on the recipe, please, weedin! :)
Yes this discovery could have tremendous impact ... :D

'tis said that a quarter teaspoon of it in with the other flavourings/seasonings while it cooks through does the trick.  So I put nearly ½ a teaspoon in a curry built for two. ;)
It stinks a bit (hence the name "asafoetida"), but the smell disappears quickly as it cooks. :)

Oh, and we've taken to trying it in other "potentially dangerous foods", like vegetable soups that contain beans etc.. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal