Author Topic: Has anyone grown couve tronchuda?  (Read 14647 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Has anyone grown couve tronchuda?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2006, 16:09:37 »
lol nice to hear from you whatever periwinkle, mine nearly came a close second, they sat in their modules for a couple of months before I got around to planting them out and after the cabbage white attack I thought they were goners. Just shows these are tough old brassicas! Haven't made them into caldo verde yet, joys to come! :D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 18:13:21 »
Talking of cabbage recipes I cooked about 6 litres of this one at the weekend which turned out pretty well ...

http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/recipe.php?recipeid=213&catid=2

I did modify the recipe slightly: by adding some of my milder chillis to it at an early stage; couldn't be bothered to finely chop all the veg (apart from the onions and Cavolo Nero) so rough chopped then blitzed in the processor, and also I haven't tried adding the cheese yet.

The omission of garlic is surprising but there is so much flavour it doesn't really need it.

Suspect it's very close to some classic rustic recipe that I should know the name of.......

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 18:16:52 »
Sorry,  rambling on I completely forgot that I meant to ask whether there is a tried and trusted recipe for Caldo Verde?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 18:32:25 »
I haven't made it for a bit, but when I did it was very much like other soups: fry in butter/oil some finely chopped onion and garlic and some sort of hard tasty sausage, add slices of potato and some chicken (or other) stock and simmer until potato is soft. Personally, I use a potato masher at this stage to break up the potato pieces, as I don't like lumps of potato in soup. Then add the very finely sliced cabbage leaves (roll the leaves up and slice as thinly as possible) and simmer for a few minutes more.

Sorry this is rather vague - I'm sure that a quick google would reveal more precise recipes.

I'm going to use this one from Artichoke, and I might take a peek at the River Cafe (not cottage lol) cookbooks to see if they have it too :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal