Author Topic: Has anyone grown couve tronchuda?  (Read 14633 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Has anyone grown couve tronchuda?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 19:13:39 »
How frustrating MH, just can't understand the mindset of anyone who could do that :(. Good for you for weighing in and making good so's you could put it behind you. And for looking on the Bright Side (things could be worse :-\) Big bracing sigh, I do wish this wasn't part of the deal but for so many of us it is. Hope it helps to get it off your chest here :-*

The CT seeds arrived today, so I will be posting them off to fellow triallers next week. How many to a station, and how far apart would you suggest?

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 20:35:02 »
Sounds possible doesn't it dandelion? If it IS the very 5 ft tall 4,000 year old cabbage (as seen in caldo verde), and your friend is prepared to supply seed from Portugal, I would love to try it too. Pretty please?
:P :D

Her little girl is a school friend of my daughter. I'll ask when school starts again in a week's time.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 21:28:09 »
I tried it a couple of years ago, didn't think much of it to be honest, shan't bother again

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 17:32:23 »
SuperSprout, ta for the commiserations, I got it off my chest down at the allotments as mine wasn't the only shed that was broken into, so it helps keep it in perspective.  Fortunately, only a tenner's worth of stuff went missing, it was the damage and waste of time repairing the damage when I could have been doing other things, that made my blood boil.  My mother cleared up the mess while I repaired the door  Other peoples stuff cost more and more damage was done, so I got off light really. 

Anyway, my moaning aside,  I've left Mr Shewell Cooper book down the lotty, so I will have to go by memory, but I'm sure he wrote that Couve Tronchuda grows to 18 " to 2 foot across, so plant in the final growing position 2 foot apart.  I'm station sowing so will probably put in 2 or 3 seeds 2 foot apart and cover with a poly bottle cloche.  I

'll post again with an excerpt from the book, when I bring it back home.  It's also got how to prepare and cook the 2 different parts of the plant, do you want that as well?

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 17:34:29 »
MT,  any particular problems with it or was it just a taste thing?

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 19:37:55 »
I'll post again with an excerpt from the book, when I bring it back home.  It's also got how to prepare and cook the 2 different parts of the plant, do you want that as well?

That would be very kind, thank you Dave. Yes please! :)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 21:18:15 »
Didn't whether to start a new thread entitled "Has Anyone Cooked Couve Tronchuda?, as this slightly off-topic
. ;D  Anyway, here's the excerpt as promised...

Excerpt from “The ABC Of  Vegetable Gardening” by W.E. Shewell-Cooper, Chapter XI “Unusual Vegetables”, pages 222 – 223

Couve Tronchuda

The Portugal Cabbage, as it is sometimes called, is a strong growing type which requires plenty of room.  It has very large midribs, which are thick, white, and tender.  These are used in the same manner as seakale.  The leaf part and the top part of the plant are used in the same way as ordinary cabbage.

Seed-Sowing. See Chou de Burghley*

Planting.  They are transplanted into rich and well-prepared soil as soon as possible.  The plant should be set out 2 ft. each way.  They should be watered plentifully during dry weather.

Harvesting.  As soon as the bottom leaves are large enough they may be cut off and the leaf portion detached from the midrib.  Each part should be cooked separately.

*Seed-Sowing.  The seed is sown in March or early April in a seed-bed outside.  The rows should be 6 ins. apart, and as soon as the plants are large enough to handle they may be planted out into a further seed-bed 6 ins. square.  (Taken from Chou de Burghley, page 222.)

Personal Note: Seakale can either be steamed or lightly boiled in salted water with lemon juice added.  In The Victorian Kitchen Garden, Harry Dobson said that it was well thought of by cook because it didn't give off a strong smell when cooking.

Hope this helps!  I'll add a new thread to draw other people's attention to it.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 21:22:56 by MutantHobbit »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 22:12:28 »
MT,  any particular problems with it or was it just a taste thing?

No particular problems, it's just a big cabbage and a bit coarse, too big for me and I prefer some of the smaller modern sweeter ones

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 19:20:57 »
Cheers MT.  Being a big coarse type meself, it'll probably suit me down to the ground! ;D

Dave

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 05:54:07 »
ROFL Dave! Fascinating and very useful posts, thank you. I feel more confident now, will probably sow in modules (loo rolls) and grow four to start with, just to see how the family get on with them. The seeds are going to four other A4a triallists today.
Fun, innit? ;D ;D ;D

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 08:22:54 »
Oh yes, most definitely fun.  Thanks for all the extra info Dave :)  Now I know more about what I'll be growing ;D

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 20:28:35 »
No problem, glad to be of help.  :)  Have finished putting in my potatoes and was busy removing a godawful eyesore of a shack from a neighbouring plot yesterday.  I am going to start sowing tomorrow (Friday) as the soil has finally reached 15 degrees, and the 10 forecast is showing a constant double figure range for the first time.  Should be fun... ;)

Dave

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 20:46:57 »
MH, on an earlier post you asked about Hamburg Parsley i grow it just for the leaves (they look like flat leaved parsley) you will never need to sow parsley again! i edge beds with it and it is winter hardy just like parsnips! the roots taste of celery(you will need to sow again in two years in my experience) hope this is usefull/ angle shades x
grow your own way

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 21:18:59 »
Cheers Angle shades!

I didn't realise that the roots taste of celery so it will be a useful addition, along with my celeriacs!  Am gonna be spoilt for choice now!

Dave

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2006, 13:00:46 »
In London, visiting a friend, I spotted what I now know as Couve Tronchuda (use to call it walking stick cabbage) growing in someone else's tiny patch of a garden - I asked her what nationality the growers were and just knew she was going to say Portuguese. It was charming to see these homesick people growing three gigantic cabbages among their flowers.

I have eaten lots of caldo verde in Portugal and Madeira, and seen the cabbages growing there, but in my experience they are an acquired taste, partly dependent on nostalgia.

An old variety I like is Ragged Jack, or Russian Red. Very attractive, small, tender and sweet. I got the seeds from an elderly neighbour long dead now, and have kept them going.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2006, 16:31:42 »
Do you have a good caldo verde recipe artichoke? :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 09:26:33 »
I haven't made it for a bit, but when I did it was very much like other soups: fry in butter/oil some finely chopped onion and garlic and some sort of hard tasty sausage, add slices of potato and some chicken (or other) stock and simmer until potato is soft. Personally, I use a potato masher at this stage to break up the potato pieces, as I don't like lumps of potato in soup. Then add the very finely sliced cabbage leaves (roll the leaves up and slice as thinly as possible) and simmer for a few minutes more.

Sorry this is rather vague - I'm sure that a quick google would reveal more precise recipes.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 12:20:58 »
This is the sort of recipe I can follow! Thanks chokey ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2006, 16:49:05 »
Well after a shaky start (no mesh) the couve tronchuda is coming good. How is everyone else doing? :)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 09:46:16 »
That looks good SS. I knew this moment would come - confession time. I never quite managed to plant the seeds you sent, they are still in my seed box. So I am afraid it will be next season before I can give any report back. Very sorry - but at least I will know what to expect.  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal