Author Topic: Sunflowers  (Read 1587 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Sunflowers
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:07:43 »
I have a few sunflowers growing in kitchen roll holders in the conservatory.  They are nearly a foot tall already.  I thought I would put them outside yesterday to start hardening off and one snapped off completely in the breeze!!   :(

When I do plant them out up the allotment (and any idea when this can be??) will I need to stake them to stop this happening?   ???
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:56:19 »
Sounds like they need staking already!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:01:17 »
I have a few sunflowers growing in kitchen roll holders in the conservatory.  They are nearly a foot tall already. 

A foot tall! Thought mine were leggy at 7" and flopping.  Will have to stake them, methinks. Will also be waiting for finer weather before planting out. Even if that means planting the loo-roll in a larger pot etc.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:22:17 »
I thought when I planted them out I would bury them to reduce the legginess!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 16:40:26 »
They will need staking if they are the tall single stemmed ones, but be careful to loosen the string or ties regularly, or like what happened to mine, one day, the string will cut clean through the stem, very neatly, and all that love will have been for nothing!

I do plant mine a little deeper, but don't over water as they will rot off quite quickly.  Mine will be going up to the plot mid to late April - I am in Essex.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal