Author Topic: Siting a greenhouse  (Read 2942 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Siting a greenhouse
« on: March 07, 2004, 17:09:03 »
This topic has probably been covered before, so apologies if this is a repitition. I did a search on this but could find nothing relevant.

Here goes.  I am in need of advice on the siting of a greenhouse. Thre have been numerous articles in books and mgazines over the years an i have consulted a few, but I am still a bit confused.

I want to grow crops such as tomatoes in the summer, protect tender plants in winter and grow plantsfrom seed in spring. What is the best over all aspect for doing these things. I think the orientation and aspect is determined by which way the ridge runs: ie east to west or north to south.

Due to the layout of my garden i have a choice of north west to south east (with the longest sides facing sw and ne) or north east to south west (long sides facing se and NW).  Which would be better?

I am planning ona 6'x4' free standing (after having initialy considered a lean to on a nearby wall).

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

PS any recomendations on good greenhouse suppliers/ websites would be helpfull too  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 17:12:39 by RichardF »

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Siting a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 12:45:11 »
I would say long sides facing SW this will let in the maximum light.

The Gardener

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 13:51:36 »
Thanks Gardener

Would you also agree it best to get the biggest Gh that space/budget allows for? I am debating whether to get a 4'X6' or a 6'x6'. The former would fit perfectly in the space, but the latter size might be a bit of a squeeze, but seems to be a more worthwhile size for my needs

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 13:57:05 »
whatever size you get, you're bound to fill it quickly, so go for the bigger (but do triple check your measurements!)
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 14:02:15 »
Certainly will aqui. The space lengthwise is just 1/2" short of 8' so an 8'er is out.

Thanks Aqui

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 16:50:01 »
Regarding the squeeze;

Go for the 6'x6' if you can, you will only have to squeeze it in once, whereas with the 6'x4' YOU will have to squeeze into it it every time you use it, particularly when it is quite full.

Yes I would guess in about a years time saying oh! I wish I had bought an 8'x6' then it goes on and on and on ;D

The Gardener

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 17:50:34 »

This is the area i am considering, just to make things clearer.  This is near the back door and gets ample sun and light. It is also the flatest part of the garden!

As I said before i was considering a lean to against the wall facing the camera. but the presence of the trough bed infront would have made installation and difficult. It would probably have to have been a custon made one which would have pushed the cost up. Instead a free standing model will go in this area.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal