Author Topic: Hens are indoors  (Read 11843 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: Hens are indoors
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 07:16:18 »
We have not put our hens and ducks in yet but are planning what to do so can get them under cover fairly quickly if need be. W :)e are in Surrey.

We have covered our parakeet/ringneck/budgie aviary in case. We simply used the see through corrugated plastic sheets on the roof. The sides are OK as they are small weldmesh that wild birds cannot get through.

We will do a similar thing for the poultry. One of the runs has rabbit netting sized wire mesh and we will simply put a fruit net over that to keep birds out and the solid roof of corrugated. They will not think much of not being able to free range but its better to be alive. :)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 09:42:13 »
Pauline

No images exactly but I can describe.  This is the house we use.

Over the top I have placed a sheet of rigid twin wall plastic I salvaged from a skip when some one removed a conservatory from their house. The standard 6 by 4 sheet sits over the whole run very well indeed.

Along one side of the run I have placed 4 bricks, then placed the plastic on top of this so that it is sloped from one side. I then have placed 8 bricks on top of the sheet, 4 each side, to stop it being lifted by the wind. It could also be tied down but I have not needed to as yet.

On the weather side of the run I have also stapled clear plastic sheeting to the sides of the run to keep the worst of the weather out of the run.

I did all this to give the birds some protection against the winter weather rather than the bird flu as they still range around the garden/field add lib during the day.

If it is required that they are under cover then it should be fine as the weld mesh on the sides is small enough to deter most birds.

Hope that help some, a lot depends on the type of sun you have.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 13:31:36 »
Jerry, I can see that you wouldn't have had much of a problem putting a cover on your run. 

I have posted a couple of pics of my hen house.  The run you see pictured is really a corridor that leads into any one of three runs. I have a rotation system and block off access to those runs that I am growing vegetables in.  Their main runs are 15 feet by 45 feet so far too large to put a roof cover on. 

The house itself I feel is too small to accommodate 14 chickens throughout the day, though there is ample room for them at night.  I will have to use the corridor as a run and cover the top completely and have bird netting over the sides.  My problem is that the corridor is not uniform in shape and I would not be able to put rigid plastic sheeting over it. 

There is also the door of the hen house that is taller than the posts and netting around it.  I could keep the door closed and have a peephole in it but it would make the shed dark inside.  The corridor is not that big and I want the chickens to feel they have enough room.  This I feel would be better with the door open.  Another problem is that if I put polythene over the top, I will need some sort of slope to stop it filling up with water.  My OH says that polythene will tear in the wind but I think if it has netting over the top, this should hold it down better and lessen the chance of tears.

I thought I had better add that the chickens have water and feed inside the shed and those old troughs shown in the pics will be planted up with bedding plants and placed where the chickens can't get to them.     

I don't have a lot of time to sort this one out because the swallows will be here soon and they have always used the shed to raise their young.  As a temporary measure I will have to put a net over for now to stop them getting in.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 13:45:25 »
Hmmm, I see your problem. But you have a couple of things going for you. The roof line of the shed gives you a good anchor point at one end of the run for starters.

I would be inclined to place a pole in the middle of the far end of the run and run a beam from that to the middle of the roof at the other end of the run. You might need another supporting pole in the middle. This will be the ridge or ridge pole of the roof if you like.

Over this run some netting and anchor it all around the sides and to the walls of the shed. Then cover with clear plastic sheeting stapling it to the ridge pole. This can then be fixed to the sides of the run to make it secure. Probably the easiest way would be to fix horizontal lengths of wood down the side of the run to which you can attach the netting/plastic.

Like you say I would put netting over the plastic as well so you end up with  net/plastic/net sandwich. Finally I would also add some weighted lines over the roof. Through a bit of rope over the roof and attach each end to weights to help hold everything down. Plastic milk bottles filled with water make ideal weights. A rope every couple of feet should be fine.

It will look a bit heath robinson but should work even in moderate winds.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 14:02:09 »
I've been thinking about if the need should arise for keeping my girls covered.

Someone gave me one of those stripey plastic gazebo things last year (never used it ... I'm not the 'gazebo type'  ;D )

But I was thinking that if the worst came to the worst I could cut the legs down to about 4ft, use it as an extension to their shed (like a caravan awning!!!) and attach net curtains weighted down with bricks round the outside so they can have some outdoor space.

I didn't buy mine obviously, but I don't think they'd be that expensive.

Just a thought!

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 22:42:45 »
Thank you for your reply Jerry.  You have given me some ideas which I might try and plan out on paper.  :D    When you talk about poles placed in the middle and at the far end, have you any suggestions as to what they should be made of?  The length of the corridor which will become their run is 18 ft and the height of the existing fencing about 6 ft.  Maybe waste pipe may be the answer but it may not be strong enough.  I think there are some 6 - 8 ft metal posts knocking around the garden somewhere so I will try to find them and measure them.  I am not sure how I would keep them upright though as our soil is so stony that it would be difficult to get them in very far.

That's a good suggestion of yours to have plastic milk bottles filled with water to act as weights.  I will have to start saving them now instead of cutting them up to make name tags.   ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 07:20:56 »
Heldi - are your girls and Dennis back out playing now the restrictions have been lifted ?

I often think about them ! 

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 07:38:28 »
You've read my mind KP. 
When I heard the news last night I thought 'Heldi will be pleased and so will those chooks'. :)

MM

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 12:20:39 »
I was thinking of you too Heldi,,,hope they are all doing ok ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 13:30:02 »
I've not been keeping up with the news so I didn't know that the restrictions had been lifted ! Been busy with the holidays. I must stress that I am in Northumberland and quite a distance from where the restrictions were.  We put our hens indoors incase of mad people and because the regional news said the big guys were putting their chooks indoors.  Mine are still in today and will be for a little while yet...they are getting a new waterproof outdoor pen,so they can be out, but in, if you know what I mean.  I'm happy to report on gadding about during the hols, I've seen lots of very happy free range chooks,ducks and geese in Northumberland. Went to an organic farm and shared chocolate cake with a free range peacock too!

Dennis has calmed down immensly since his confinement whereas the girls are more jittery.  No reduction in eggs though,13 a day. Their feathers are mending themselves so hopefully in the long run it will benefit them more than hinder.

Funny thing...a few weekends ago I had atleast 180 eggs sat in the shed. I was wondering what on earth to do with all the eggs the hens were producing. A neighbour took some and then another allotmenteer took them. Since the avian flu thing I hardly have an egg to spare for myself,people have gone nuts for them!  I dunno..I saw all the reports that people would go off eggs and that sort of thing because of the avian flu but the opposite happened here! I've got someone wanting 3 dozen today...that'll leave about 3 eggs for me! Ah well I am given a quid a doz so can't complain...I'm saving it up.   Did anyone else see that Practical Poultry article with the lady and the Buff Orpingtons in her garden???  Guess who has found a breeder in the town where my mum lives !!!   ;)  ;) 8)  8) ;D  ;D  (Told you OH shouldn't give me ideas!)

Thanks for thinking about me and the hens by the way

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 13:51:18 »
Hi Heldi
Yes I read the article, very interesting I thought.  I would love 2 or 3 blue Orpingtons.
Glad you and the chooks are OK

MM x

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 16:29:20 »
merlins mum is VERY keen on blue orps! ;)

we used to keep non-descript(but beautiful)bantys....i think i might want to again....

we have a big run which doubles as a fruit cage for our cats so they are out but in and it works very well-
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 20:17:50 »
it's probably cos they realise that you're a reliable source Heldi.  so remember to put up the "sold out" sign though. 

i wonder what the girls are after if they're missing Dennis  :P

glad to hear everything is going well though.  never hurts to be able to experience what you wouldn't normally have to.  just shows how flexible we can be if necessary.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 22:10:29 »
I couldn't help it...I let them out this afternoon lol!  ;D   That Dennis....straight away doing his one wing down, shuffle the feet and look interesting dance. He's ruffled up the feathers again. Still,afterwards they all settled down and had a communal bath and seemed much more relaxed when it was bedtime, hehehe...is dirt the chicken equivalent to radox?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 23:54:53 »
Glad to hear you have been able to let your chickens out again Heldi.  ;D

I was planning a makeshift covered run just in case there is an order to keep chickens in at some future date.  I took photos and Jerry kindly gave me some advice on how to cover in the area.  Up to then, my OH had not taken any interest at all until I started drawing up plans when we were away at Easter.  He then took it over and has decided to build a more substantial covered run at the other end of the chicken house.   ::)

It will be made with a solid timber frame, have wire netting at the sides, a door and a clear corrugated roof.  It will also double up as an additional greenhouse in the Spring if I attach some bubblewrap to the sides.  My greenhouse is right near where the new "chicken run/greenhouse" will be, so it will be easy for me to swap things around.    :D

The wood is ordered and we will be deciding on where to buy the roofing sheets in the next day or so.  Hopefully, we may have it finished by Monday evening.  ;D ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 16:48:58 »
Sounds just the ticket Pauline. I'd love to share the plans for my hen's new outdoor/indoor run thingy but unfortuanately they are in OH's head!  :D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 23:18:50 »
merlins mum is VERY keen on blue orps! ;)

we used to keep non-descript(but beautiful)bantys....i think i might want to again....

we have a big run which doubles as a fruit cage for our cats so they are out but in and it works very well-
kitty

GIGGLE! A fruit cage for cats! What a wonderful thought!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 13:25:46 »
bad news in Norfolk ... here we go again.

Stay safe chucks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4949026.stm

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 18:33:02 »
It's all very sad  :'( but I never understand why they have to slaughter everything.  It happened with foot and mouth now it's happening with bird flu  :(

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 18:34:16 »
From May 1st all chicken have fun again here in the Netherlands.......
( till October, I guess??? >:()
Many people had enough of keeping their chickens inside, and even the council hens were outside already for a couple of weeks ??? ???
If all the ducks, goose etc were allowed to walk free I think it was and is a bit nonsence to keep the chickens inside and get very frustrated :( :(
But it is all legal to have them in the woods and in the garden.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal