Author Topic: Unable to view photos in emails and some websites - HELP???/  (Read 1667 times)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
Hey all

I am having problems viewing  some pictures. 

Firstly, I get a weekly email from Aldi showing their special offers for the week. I can see the text clearly but there are no pictures visable. 

Then..... when I try to view some websites which have pictures contained (not dodgey sites, I promise) - again the text is fine but there are no pictures shown.

I use I.E. and am up-to-date with all of my Microsoft updates, etc.....

Any help would be appreciated

Cheddar, Somerset

DenBee

• Acre
Re: Unable to view photos in emails and some websites - HELP???/
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 11:35:32 »
Try this. 

On the Toolbar at top, select
Tools
Internet Options
Advanced
Multimedia (scroll down to see it)
Ensure "show pictures" is ticked

hope this helps
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 22:36:30 »
Denbee,
I have the same prob. as Paul but in Outlook.
Tried your resolve but couldn't find 'Multimedia' in 'Advanced.
Running XP Pro.
Any ideas?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 23:27:36 »
I have to admit that the fix I put in for Paul's problem was just a standard one I know of, and I've never had to use it myself.

With XP, Outlook Express automatically as a default blocks images in emails as a security measure, since a lot of spam has images which contain code which report back to the sender that the email has been opened, and has therefore been sent to an active email address.

When I open emails and there are images in it, I get a prompt bar above the email which tells me that the images have been blocked "in order to prevent the sender identifying your computer"., and I get lots of red x's in my email.  But it lets me override this by clicking on the bar if I want to.

You can override the image blocker by going to Outlook Express Tools, then Options, then Security.  You should see that the box for blocking images has been ticked.  It's not recommended to untick this though, because it does reduce security for your pc.

When you say that you can't find Multimedia on Advanced - this is in I.E., and to see it you have to scroll down the list that you see after you click on the Advanced button.

I'm not in any way any kind of computer expert, by the way.  I'm just quite good at finding things.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 22:38:06 »
Denbee,

No further forward as I said, I use Outlook.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal