Author Topic: Overwintering sweet peas  (Read 7657 times)

John_Verney

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Overwintering sweet peas
« on: March 06, 2004, 15:18:59 »
 ??? ???I was looking at Gardening World last night, and was amazed to see how well tiheir sweet peas have overwintered,  In comparison mine look half starved.   I started them in October, in roottrainers, and when they  were of  handable size I potted them on.   I started by keeping them in my poly tunnel;, until I  had problems with  the condensation which I believe was the reason for the outside of the leaves turning white.  I then put them outside as advised  to do by the gardening message board.  The programme showed some sweet peas which were really excellant, and left me wondering where I went wrong.   Could anybody  please let me know how they get good results.   Do  you feed them at regular intervals and if so what with?

Thanking you in advance.

Yours sincerely,

John Verney

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Overwintering sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 15:47:55 »
I'm afraiid I have given up sowing in the autumn now, found I was getting problems that I don't seem to get with later sowings.

I sowed mine on the 20th February and they are growing a treat.

I think it is a case of more consistant conditions, i.e. they are not 'checked'

When you consider the weather between October and now has been anything but consistant, e.g. good light, bad light, hot & cold spells to name a couple of most likely problems.

Regarding the TV programme, were the plants you saw last night the same ones they sowed last year?
Or were they the best of the bunch, and the weedy looking stock didn't get viewing time.

Sorry for the synicism but I often wonder!

The Gardener

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 16:22:54 »
yes i often wonder how come all their plants so good they must have some failures but then i suppose is not good tv to show crap stuff

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 17:11:50 »
My Sweet peas sown 2nd February;

and my Potatoes set up 13th February;

inside the greenhouse;

Snowdrops still doing well;

So as you see even with a late start one catch catch up......marvellous thing nature

The Gardener

John_Verney

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 08:35:26 »
Thank you all for   your encouraging replies, especially yoou, The Gardener for the photos  you sent me.  My  plants are about the same as yours, so I felt really  encouraged.   I looked on your website yestereday , and was very impressed. John Verney.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 17:20:42 »
I have tried various options with sweet peas in recent years. Last year I tred half autumn sowing half spring sowing, hoping that this would extend the season. It didnt realy, and i had the worry of caring for the autumn sown ones over winter.  This year I have done an all spring sow (made only a couple of days ago in fact - so a true spring sowing!).

So i shall see if it makes a difference.

I did find last winter that the autumn sowings tried to grow during mild spells and became slightly leggy and drawn. Spring sowingsget good light and warmth for steady growth, so should be stronger too

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 14:34:17 »
The Gardener - that's a relief. I was worried mine was (only one of them germinated before the weekend and is of any substantial size) looking rather leggy, but it looks the same as yours, so it must be how they grow!
gone to pot :D

rdak

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 09:21:22 »
my overwintered sweet peas are getting very large now and Gardeners World said they should be potted on, but I have so many sweet peas and only so many tall pots (aka soft drink bottles!)
Do you think I can plant them out now or would a frost finish them off? Am in the South.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 12:58:59 »
Well all I can say is, there is a guy on my allotment and he has sweetpeas growing lovely on his plot with no protection.  I reakon harden 'em up and get 'em out!   ;D

rdak

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 13:00:36 »
thanks, think I will get 'em out then  :o

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 14:29:40 »
Stupid Question Alert: If I pinch out the growing tips of my sweet peas sown 3 weeks ago, will there be later shoots that will still climb? I want them to climb my balcony railing so it will look all flowery and lovely.
Many Thanks, Moggle
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 18:14:00 »
I think you normally pinch them out when you have 3 pairs of true leaves, and by pinching the growing tip out loads of side dhoots are produced, making the end plant bigger and more flowery!  You can pinch the next lot of side shoots back as well to make an even bigger and even more flower packed plant if ya want.  ;D  Don't worry, when they start romping as the weather warms up, they grow and climb like the clappers.  I reach the stage where I don't know what to do with them, they take over!

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 23:39:48 »
Just to reassure u ross, from complete amateur gardener, also in south, i grew my sweet peas outside in loo roll cardboard set in tray and only had two that didn't germinate.  They were gorgeous when planted on into big pot with wigwam.  (very small garden)  :D
Muddy Boots

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 09:00:56 »
'they grow and climb like the clappers'
Thanks EJ, this sounds like the result I am after. I'll give it a shot. ;D
Moggle
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal