Author Topic: Well fed up!! A word of WARNING  (Read 2349 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Well fed up!! A word of WARNING
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:17:37 »
As you all know the time it takes and the care setting out seeds and nurturing them, keeping them cosseted and not too cold or dry etc.
Well yesterdays sun shrivelled 50% of mine :( :( the ones under the plastic propagation lids fared the worse!!
the moral of this :'( sad tale!! get some automatic openers or be more vigilant!!
thanks for listening!! feel a bit better for writing it down!!
Kevb  :'( :'(
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Well fed up!! A word of WARNING
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:24 »
Oh, yes! Never seedlings in sunlight.

This is where one sometimes has to play light against a little shading. Even permanent, if you can't check it every day. Less harm with less light.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 13:17:37 »
I had the opposite problem. The frost nobbled my nasturtiums  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 13:24:51 »
I brought my mini greenhouse into the conservatory the other night, because they were predicting temperature of -3 around here.

Forgot to take it out of the conservatory the next morning, when it was in full sun.  The temperature in the mini greenhouse had gone up to 38 degrees C.  Thank goodness for the venetian blinds that at least kept the sun from scorching the seedlings.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 13:28:28 by DenBee »
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 13:31:22 »
Yes as my wife reminded me at the weekend, do not plant all your seeds at the same time. Mine are in propogators in a polytunnel. The polytunnel plastic is not that clean which stops the bright light. Mind you its 38 degrees in the tunnel just now and I have the doors open 8)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:32:25 »
it's not easy is it ?   :-\

i have to make the decision what to do with my mini-greenhouses before i go to work in the morning ...... to open the doors or not and you can be sure that whatever i decide to do, the weather will take the opposite route.

this morning i'm looking at strong winds buffeting everything so if i open the doors i'm likely to come back to plants all over the place, but there's blue up there so no doubt the sun will be out in force.

roll on the weekend, when i can get the big greenhouse up (hopefully if the wind dies down).
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 14:40:36 »
mine are starting to go leggy a bit, getting warmer indoors, and too cold for unheated green house, when they say shade, do you just get a piece of newspaper and cover the window? or the pot??? cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal