Author Topic: Conservatory flowers  (Read 2345 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Conservatory flowers
« on: April 11, 2006, 18:35:38 »
Not really traditionally under glass, but any how.....couple of pretties today.  I am very very pleased with my orchid.  Got him cheap cheap a month or so ago and look at my reward!

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Conservatory flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 18:53:23 »
Hi EJ
they do look good are they easy to look after ???

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 20:22:59 »
I'm suitably envious of your BoP yet again - must remember patience is a virtue! They're lovely.

What type of orchid's that?  I've got two phalaenopsis, one of which was a Waitrose rescue (fiver inc ceramic pot, which of course it came straight out of since they like light on their roots) and another that I was given as a thankyou by a medic, and simply hasn't stopped flowering in a year and a half. 

Do you ever grow African violents?

;)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 22:27:01 »
So far the orchids have been a piece of cake to look after!  Water with rain water or fish tank water when the fishes have a freshen up, out in the garden in dappled shade all summer, back in before the frost, and bob is your long lost relly!  ;D  The Strelizia seems to thrive on neglect.  Is fed during the summer, as and when I remember, is watered from the waterbutt, fish tank or tap, the leaves are wiped over once in a while, and it is misted during the summer as I desperately try to keep the air temperature cool and the red spider mite in control!!  However, my baby isn't much younger than me.....I gue-stimate her age, but she has to be at least 15, maybe even 20 years old...in fact, she might even be approaching 25, and she has only flowered in the last 3 or is it 4 years.  Once they settle in, and have the time, they do flower, and they are flipping fab!

I have one african violet MB,should get more and they are soooooooooo easy to root!  I had lots when I was ickle, but the conservatory isn't the best place for them, the leaves get scorched.....why, wanna send me lots??  ;) ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:30:11 »
I'm still waiting for the Mangoes!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 17:20:58 »
I have one african violet MB,should get more and they are soooooooooo easy to root!  I had lots when I was ickle, but the conservatory isn't the best place for them, the leaves get scorched.....why, wanna send me lots??  ;) ;D

Could do... might be having babies soon (two leaves on the go).  When they're really small they're easy to pop into bubblewrap and post!

I've got one that was originally from Tony Clements' place in Terrington St Clement (the African Violet Centre) but which they stopped selling - one of the trailing ones.  I can't remember the name of it, but tend to refer to it as football as it gets to roughly that size and shape! (purple double star flowered).  I am always giving it away in the hope that if I lose all mine I can always find someone to cadge a leaf off!

The other's a giant maroon frilly with white edges.

Also have some roselike pure white miniatures and loads of pink singles... 

Need to get some pics methinks... watch this space.

Wonder what happened to the AVC? Their website is stuck in a time warp and they've not been to Chelsea in a while... and the other grower, Glenedd violets, doesn't even have a website!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 23:27:09 »
Have had mangoes going a couple of times Tim, but they like it soooo humid, it is hard for me to pamper them!  Just for you, I will start another one and molly coddle it...only thing is, I will have to wait for mum to come over and I will buy a fruit because of all the fruits in mother natures bounty, the one I loathe is the Mango!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal