Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 3881 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
How do you do it?
« on: April 04, 2006, 23:31:09 »
no this shouldnt be in the watershed...

been doing lots of sowing today. and will be doing more and more in the next few weeks. ive got a 6x8 greenhouse and half of it consists of a plastic table like you use as a patio set. i sowed about half of my total stuff today and filled this table plus a propagator in the shed.

Now some of you will hvae lots of room cos you got huge greenhouses, but i know there will be a fair few people who have those small staging shelves and small greenhouses. So how do you fit all your trays in?

ipt8

• Hectare
Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 13:37:27 »
Use shelves. I made some wooden ones attached to L shaped brackets which were attached to the greenhouse frame. One dawn each side and one at the far end.
I also made wooden benches either side of a central path down the length of the greenhouse. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 13:40:16 »
I use the utility room for my seeds. Grow stuff like early lettuce in the greenhouse until the tomatoes take over. Well I would do if I remembered to take the packet of lettuce seed  ::)with me.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 13:53:30 »
I've got 'L' bracket shelves on the frame like ipt8 - 2 layers! I've sown pea seeds and leeks in guttering which fit nicely against the back of the soil beds and down both sides of the path (if you tip-toe carefully!)

I've also made shelves that sit on the soil beds using bricks and wire mesh (2 layers high) so that they don't squash the soil underneath or obstruct light too much. The mesh shelves are also handy when you water as the excess falls through the top layer of the mesh shelf onto the seeds below (Better than solid wood shelves)

All my 'delicate little seedling babies' are on the bottom shelf so they're lulled into thinking it's rain and not me brandishing a watering can!

Underneath all the mesh shelves in the soil beds are potatoes! Planning for an early crop of new tatties and they're doing really well so far! Then when they're dug up and the seedlings are all outside I can plant in tomatoes and aubergines etc.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 13:57:00 »
Where do the tomatoes grow to if you've got shelves above them or do you remove the shelves when the toms go in?

Watch out too if you're planting tomatoes after potatoes. They're subject to the same diseases.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 14:11:15 »
The shelves are just to start of seedlings Grawc. They come out when the permanent plants get planted.

Thanks for the hint about potatoes/tomatoes. I usually plant toms in pots with the bottoms cut out though. Will this help stop diseases spreading?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 14:16:20 »
Don't think so. I'm growing mine in growbags this year to give the soil a rest. You're either supposed to do that or change the soil - to about a spit's depth. or so I'm told.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 09:39:20 »
I have a buffet table in my greenhouse, that used to be used in one of the top London Hotels. It is nice and solid and also on wheels so I can move it around easily.

I have some plastic shelves (cut from the corrugated stuff used on conservatories) and they are hung from the metal frame with a mixture of welding rods, wire and plant ties! It seems to hold the weight of all my pots and trays, but I have to be careful not to knock it as it is just resting on the greenhouse frame.

I would love to have some proper staging, but this does the job for now. :)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 00:21:28 »
Adam we have a small g'house and an "arrangement " built which allows us to put in shelves for seedlings and remove in time for tomatoes growing - you know what they say - "necessity is the mother of invention"!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:49 »
One of our gardeners has bought some of those cheap mini greenhouses from Aldi or Lidl and has them on top of a table in his greenhouse. 4 times the shelf space with added protection.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 08:38:44 »
Temporary worksurfaces made from boards resting on upturned large pots. Not pretty but effective and as I said - temporary. Normally at this time of year my greenhouse would be burgeoning with seedlings and small pots, but because of the cold weather I have been holding back on a lot of stuff - perhaps this is helping in the long run?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 08:51:14 »
In the light of all this I'll really need to consider using vertical space more.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 18:01:14 »
Where don't I stack them!  I have tables and shelves, the floor is covered leaving just stepping stone spaces for me to walk.  Like Eric, I have boards on pots, and boards across from side to side.  Plus the conservatory is groaning with seeds, seedlings and small plants.  Glad to say the first batch of plantlets will be heading off to the allotment once the kids go back to school, Friday week!  ;D

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 06:39:52 »
Bedroom, kitchen, bath!!! oh and the other stuff in the greenhouse, the other half loves it , NOT !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal