Author Topic: WHISKEY  (Read 8054 times)

muddy boots

• Half Acre
Re: WHISKEY
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 19:17:35 »
I loved all the Islay malts - don't think there is anything to beat them.  Even liked Laphroig although it really tastes like TCP smells!  Talisker is the cream though!

Sadly, whisky drinking days are over!  Doen't agree with me anymore  :-\

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 19:41:39 »
I'm with the Islay Malts too, but straight.  My late father-in-law (a Scot) said the only good thing to put in a malt was another one!  He lived to 90, so perhaps that's got to tell you something!

Your father-in-law was right.

I'm a Glenlivet man myself. 
By the way, when I visited the Glenlivet distillery a few years back they were really disparaging of local neighbours Glenfiddich, because at the time Glenfiddich didn't put an "age" on their bottles, and Glenlivet is always at least 12 years old; Glenfiddich used to put an age on it, usually 5 or 8 I think, but became so over-publicised they couldn't keep up with demand and stopped aging it properly.  They have now gone back to proper aging on their labels.

p.s. for a decent blended whisky for mixing, try the Scottish Co-Op's "Isle of Skye".
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 21:11:43 »
Not so keen on the peaty west coast ones although I used to be a Talisker fan in my younger days. Now I prefer Speyside Highland or Lowland malts - Edradour is tops when I can afford it, then Glenlivet, Glen Morangie, The MacAllan...

Errm ... and it's whisky for me by the way. :-[ :-[Whiskey is definitely furrin'  :P

Errm errm .. that's not a spelling correction  :-[ :-[ :P more of a culture correction?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 21:27:49 by grawrc »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 23:05:38 »
I love them all!   ;D  I have been to Glenlivet, Glenfidich, Talisker and others when we used to tour Scotland.  I likes 'em neat, with water, never ice, and yep, I am another one who likes it with coke to turn it into a long drink.  I have a posh one downstairs, can't remember the name, Charlene Spiteri gave it to my boss and he promptly told me to go enjoy it.  An enjoy it I do!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:38 »
I love them all!   ;D  I have been to Glenlivet, Glenfidich, Talisker and others when we used to tour Scotland.  I likes 'em neat, with water, never ice, and yep, I am another one who likes it with coke to turn it into a long drink.  I have a posh one downstairs, can't remember the name, Charlene Spiteri gave it to my boss and he promptly told me to go enjoy it.  An enjoy it I do!

Yummy yummy. My mother did a booze cruise to France, she brought me back some spirits - one was a cheap bourbon - a bit rough. I prefer a nice smooth malty. I appear to have some Aberlour here (other bottles are at my mum's).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

sallyann993

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 13:59:55 »
one of the nicest tasting whiseys ive had the pleasure to drink was a gift from my father last christmas it was called ISLE OF JURA........ Simply gorgeous.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 19:18:49 »
Good God! Did I write Whiskey?? Must have had my usual few?
Yes - looking back - 6.21pm - at least 2!! Cheapos. Well diluted, Which, I'm told, is quicker death than straight!

Which reminds me - in 1960, I went back to childhood haunts & was given a bottle of 1935 bog standard Scotch by the retired Lady Keeper of The Bell Inn in Welford-upon-Avon. We used to live 2 miles up the river. When she was bought out, she put the entire stock under her stairs!

Well - it was out of this (modern) world. I had it kept behind the bar at my RAF base & just sipped it neat from time to time. How things change?

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 09:38:43 »
Talisker woman here, but failing that, you can't beat a good home carrot whisky.  Let me know if you would like the recipe.  If you're brave enough........................ :o ;D

Ooo I'd like to see the recipe.  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 14:17:03 »
Tim, you type WHISKEY  and everyone seems to be talking about WHISKY.  Scotch  OK   ;D ;D ;D   I don't drink the stuff unless i have toothache. 

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 19:01:02 »
You noticed? I did correct myself?

Toothache? Yes - just let it rest on the tooth. We always put a wee drappie in the childrens' bottles during teething - far better than the Calponny things today. And none of them are 'drinkers' today.

But did you see Trees that made Britain last night? How I wish I could be a taster!! Almost as good as the historic "The fleet's all lit up" clip?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal