Produce > Edible Plants

showing runner beans

(1/2) > >>

the_plotter:
Is there a sure way of growing runner beans for the show bench.The Aberdeen flower show is getting smaller every year and I might try my hand at the next show. Is there a website that deals with showing veg or flowers or can anyone give me and the rest of the folk on the allotments any ideas.

the plotter

Hugh_Jones:
A few years ago the Midlands Branch of the National Vegetable Society published a booklet entitled "Lovell`s Way With Vegetables", which may still be available.  You would have to contact the branch Secretary whose name and address you can obtain from the NVS website.

This booklet contains all the notes on growing and preparing for showing of a  range of vegetables (including Runner Beans), of Lovell Hill, who was one of the great vegetable show winners, together with details of the various points awarded respectively for form, size, condition and uniformity of each class of vegetable.

Hugh_Jones:
hi Plotter.   Sorry my advice made you cold, but you obviously weren`t digging hard enough if you needed a jumper AND a fleece.  It`ll all be worth while when your next year`s crop of runners comes in.

the_plotter:
was it mega i saw this morning in plot 46 stripped to the waist and knees knocking with the cold,and digging like mad. dont tell me you left your car keys in the pocket of your fleece?
        the plotter

Hugh_Jones:
Sorry Plotter. My last remarks were wrongly addressed.  If you don`t have any joy over the booklet I mentioned (or elsewhere) please re-post and I`ll let you have some helpful tips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version