Author Topic: encouraging moss growth  (Read 2048 times)

Dave Richardson

• Not So New ...
encouraging moss growth
« on: April 04, 2006, 22:10:23 »
Could someone help please??

I would like to encourage some moss to grow on some exposed sections of black pond liner which are above the water line. I seem to recall reading somewhere That common yogurt spread on a surface which encourage growth of moss.

Has anyone else tried this out thank you in anticipation

Dave
Regards

Dave

DenBee

• Acre
Re: encouraging moss growth
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 22:30:21 »
I think that what yoghurt does is encourage growth of algae/lichens(?), rather than moss.  I've seen it recommended for rubbing onto the outside of cement pots to make them look aged.

I don't know an awful lot about moss propagation, but I would think it would need something a bit more substantial to grow on than butyl liner.

No doubt someone with a bit more experience will have something a litttle more positive to add.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: encouraging moss growth
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 00:37:33 »
On my "wildlife pond" I tucked the edges of the liner under the grass, as I didn't want a brick edging or concrete slabs. This meant that a piece of the liner showed as the water didn't come right up to the grass.
What I did was sow long fine grass (the sort you get for shady lawns) onto pieces of weed control fabric (the black flimsy fabric sort) which I first covered in seed compost and kept in trays, moist. The grass germinated and I then had sort of grass covered mats which I then laid around the edges close to the pond. I also planted many sorts of small plants that like boggy conditions in the area, through this grass mat. After a year or so, the plants and the uncut grass, which is long and fine, have blended in with everything and hides the plastic quite well. Moss has found its way there too, but it is on the shady side of the garden so this is to be expected.
Thinking about it, you may be able to do the same thing with the fabric and moss, but think you'd have to start it off by getting chunks of moss from somewhere. I don't think you would be at all successful trying to grow it straight onto the plastic itself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal