Author Topic: Chives  (Read 2869 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Chives
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:37:21 »
Why do all the first & best ones grow through the concrete path??

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Re: Chives
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:57:35 »
God knows, just planted a bleedin trayfull and guess how many have germinated???   One !!!!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 13:27:00 »
well, hopefully it's not the same for parsnips... as a few of my seeds blew down from my hand into the narrow gap between two paving slabs... they had to stay put...  ::)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 13:29:30 »
LOL my brother was planting his tomatoes and they blew away also, expensive pack too!!!

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:49:14 »
My chives are doing well. I planted them in toilet paper rolls and they're indoors in a mini greenhouse.
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:10 »
did you think we wouldn't notice this was your first post  :P 

welcome to you.

my chives are in still in the living room looking very tiny.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 13:08:33 »
Just a tip for some who may be new to this game-split your chives late Autumn and plant a few in pots-put them in the greenhouse and get an early crop when not much else is around.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 13:43:21 »
My chives and parsley have seeded into the gravel of the greenhouse path!  I also had a few parsnip seeds catch the wind....goodness knows where they ended up, but you can bet your life, the proper row will fail to germinate, and those odds will sprout and be the longest, strongest, show stopping snips, in amongst my.....strawberries!  :D

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 13:47:21 »
That means welcome STHLMGreen. May your veg grow well!!!
Marigold

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 14:34:11 »
I have chives popping up about 3' away from were I sowed them, none have shown at all where they were meant too.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 14:37:42 »
I havn't sown mine yet! Must do it soon, happy sowing and growing everyone!  ;D

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 15:55:37 »
Is there any special trick to chives? I've never had major germination problems with other seed types, be they flower or veg, but chives have me stumped! I followed the planting instructions as given on the pack, but of the 10 planted, only 3 germinated. Not healthy looking specimens either, I might add, even taking into account that they would be spindly to start with. Of the 3 that germinated, 1 has bitten the bullet. Half tempted to beg some established plants from my mum!

So any ideas?

Niamh

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 16:16:39 »
Why do you need to sow chives?? I have a clump that I dug up in our move 4 years ago and transplanted here. I thin out every couple of years and I have loads and loads.  Never need to sow them every year or am I doing something wrong  ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 16:44:27 »
Hi Mimi,

this is my first time growing them, I have none in my garden. My mother's established  chives have been going strong for 10 years or more. If I can get the little devils to grow from seed, then I hope never have to try to grow them from seed again!

The other reason I am growing them from seed and not a clump nicked from my mum is that she lives over 150 miles away!

Sigh. I love chives and all, might just have to accept failure and buy ready grown ones!

Niamh

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 18:01:58 »
I've never tried to grow them as the chap who owned the house before us must've had several spare packets of seed that he spread over the garden before he left.   Every year our garden is so full of chives growing  out of every nook and cranny that it smells really strong of onion and i can't smell anything else. I swear half the grass is made up of chives :o

You can bet if i did try them i'd have no joy....... ;D ;D

P.
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 18:18:32 »
Doh !!!!! stupid woman me.. Sorry Niamh, never thought of that :-\  Hopefully after this year you will never never have to try again.  Love the little flowers on chives too.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Susie Snowdrop

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 18:27:19 »
Hi All!
I too am growing chives for the first time.  I sowed them about a week ago and they are just pushing through the surface ;D!  How long will it be before I can use them?
I'm also growing coriander, purple and green sage, basil and marjoram :o! 
Susie x
Work hard....play hard!

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 18:33:10 »
for some reason the prev. owners of this house edged an entire flower bed with chives which are 6" and going strong and look like a bright green manic extension to the lawn ...

And i don't even like chives!!!  ::)

Can I transplant them now? And if so, would anyone like them if their seeds don't work out?

sl
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 20:26:07 »
I have got buds on some I planted last year. As it is the first time I have grown them I don't know if this unusual or not.

Rosemary

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 08:20:16 »
My chives live in an old galvanised bucket and come up faithfully every year.  If it gets a bit too weedy in there I "clean" it out at the end of the summer and thin them out, but  haven't had to do that in ages.

Just got some garlic chives seed, and am about to sow into a similar sort of container.  Fingers crossed, didn't have any trouble when I sowed the original lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal