Author Topic: Asparagus question  (Read 1401 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Asparagus question
« on: April 02, 2006, 21:17:08 »
Hello,

I've just received an order of 20 asparagus crowns, but I don't think I'll be able to get them into their bed for a couple of weeks. Is there anything I should do with them to keep them from drying out in the meantime? They arrived in sealed plastic bags and don't know if I should just keep them in the bags inside my shed, or perhaps opened up and covered lightly with compost ??? ??? ??? They were not cheap and would hate to see them die  :(

Many Thanks,
Vaca

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 22:02:07 »
Keep them cool but frost free. probably Ok to keep them in the bags provided they are in the dark and cool. Or out of bags in sand?? Feeling my way here. Wait for the experts. But certainly keep them cool and out of frost etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 22:11:21 »
Keep them cool and dark and plant them as soon as you can. Mine sat in my shed for a week or so, and vegetated quite happily, so yours should manage two. I got mine in this weekend, so at least that's one thing out of the way. Hope they come up all right.

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 22:31:56 »
@vaca,
to be on the safe side I would take them out of their bags, cover them with sand or earth or compost and keep moist and cool.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 22:34:01 by blight »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:07:29 »
Half of my crowns have arrived this morning. Yippee and the sun is shining. Off to plant asparagus, onions, potatoes and broad beans (their toilet rolls are getting too tight  ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:15:53 »
Vaca, it looks like you have received advice to do either option you considered - I would suggest that should give you peace of mind that the crowns will be ok whatever you decide to do?

Grawrc, have fun planting ... what has happened to the other half of your crowns ?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 16:24:56 »
I repeat the 'keep moist at all costs' bit!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 16:36:00 »
Still in the post I expect Curry. And yes I really did have fun. Sturon and Red Baron all planted - that's all my onions in now. Broad beans in and covered with net tent to keep the pigeons at bay. 2  rows of kestrel planted. Ran out of time planting the asparagus, since when I started to dig the trench I discovered thistles (grrrr my worst enemy) so stopped to reconsider. I did however tranplant  :o :o my 3 existing asparagus plants (Gijnlim)  :o :o to  a weed-free part of the new asparagus bed as they couldn't stay where they are anyway. Soon to be filled with runner beans. Remains to be seen who is right about moving asparagus: the rest of the universe (me included) that says "don't" and my darling husband who insists that I have the magic greenfingers and they'll do absolutely fine!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 18:15:46 »
Moving slightly sideways on the topic, I planted some seed I was given a couple of weeks ago - Martha Washington I think. Being naive to asparagus, I bunged several seed into one pot, and have managed to prick out 4 plants into individual pots this afternoon. I put lots of water on the compost so as to enable them to be replanted without damage - they are soooo delicate looking !

Here's hoping they survive anyhow ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 14:02:21 »
Well all the asparagus crowns are planted now. 24 in total. Gijnlim, Amarus and Backlim (oops dreaded F1  :-[ :P).

Plus lettuce and carrots and parsley.

How are the Martha Washington seedlings doing Curry?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 16:57:02 »
The transplanted seedlings are still tiny but looking stronger, and  I hope to have some more soon to accompany them. I don't want to even think about it being 4 years before I can enjoy them, at the moment it is fun just to get them to grow :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 17:00:03 »
Exactly. But for me it is also nice to have my first proper permanent bed as opposed to the ones that need planning and planting every year.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 18:11:11 »
Curry - DON'T accept any offer from someone to 'clean up'. Rotovated our complete asp bed - from seed - in the year that we were due our first cut.
Jobbing b....y gardeners!!

In passing - did anyone see, or buy from a newspaper ad that offered plants that you could 'cut this season'? 'Someone' demanded asp NOW & I wanted to prove this offer wrong. Didn't keep the address - no asp yet. Now, as you know, I'm NOT the impatient type but, since they said end March, should I worry?? Need the address.

allanwoolley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 18:31:18 »
I sowed T&M Jersey Knight Improved two years ago, now.   And this time last year I was amazed at how well the new young spears looked as they appeared out of the soil.   And after such a display of fern last summer I will be astonished if I do not get some good shoots for eating in another month or so.   I did not make any great efforts with the bed!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 18:44:40 »
Oh no Tim ! How awful to lose your asp just as you were going to be able to eat it. Well no-one's getting near mine (except me that is). :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 19:04:13 »
Thank for that valuable advice Tim. Fortunately I am precious regarding my plot, and won't allow anyone else anywhere near it !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal