Author Topic: Donations to the site  (Read 7581 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Donations to the site
« on: March 05, 2004, 17:40:45 »
Hi all,

A few people have asked for details of where donations can be sent, and now the new site is bedded in, I feel I can post details of the PO Box for donations.

Daniel Fulton
PO Box 108
Liverpool
L18 2WX

Everybody who donates will gain access to the new easier image posting facility. I'm thinking of giving access to the facility at the rate of about £1.50 per month, and will split it up somehow !

If you do donate, please let me know your username / email address so that I can update you !

Cheers

Dan

Please note that no facilities will be removed, if you do not donate you will still be able to post pictures as now.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Donations to the site
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 19:05:10 »
As you know, I've been away due to tech probs for quite a few months. Your site is the best gardening site I have come across, Dan. This 'donation' idea must have a 'root reason' and there must be people out there wondering why. Can you explain to those of us who have been 'blind' for some time the why's and where-fore's of it? What do we or the site gain by any donation. ( Not against it here, just wondering.)
Thanks.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 19:33:35 »
Ken,

I think the best way of explaining is to link this this thread,

Running the site

Where it was discussed previously.

Since then the new software has allowed me to give something back for a donation - namely easier posting of images, via a attach button on the post page.

No problem with you asking - you have every right !

Cheers

Dan

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 20:00:22 »
Thanks, Dan. I thought I'd run through the important stuff in my effort to catch-up. I missed the 'Running the Site' thread. Going there now. Cheers. Ken.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 20:00:45 »
KK - for God's sake - you get THIS SITE! Is there a better one?

What more do you want? No one is making a killing out of it? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 20:17:44 »
A little heavy there Tim.  I'll put your comments down to lack of sleep.  Catch you when you wake-up. Ken.

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 22:16:34 »
Dan as have said before am more than happy to donate and to any other peeps who wonders what theyre getting for their money well if you have looked at other garden sites youll know there is nothing like this elsewhere and i for one wouldnt expect someone to be out of pocket on my behalf i enjoy using this site and am happy to donate keyword is donate that is voluntary so up to u but hell whats the price of some pints on a nite out and u get no hangover  ;D

p.s would have donated before now but dont like putting me card details on puter cheque winging its way to u  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 22:18:30 by flower »

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 23:45:04 »
HI Dan

I like the idea of donations for this site.  My partner is a web developer and I appreciate how advertising can affect the site re:seed swapping etc.  

BUT dont knock it completely.  Have a look at your traffic figures and approach NON-gardening companies that offer 'pay per click'.  That way you have the best of both worlds.

All the advertisers are interested in is site traffic and maybe demographics.  Most have free affiliate options...

A good one to start is maybe EASYCAR (my partner made some money out of them for a project he had going).  I'll have a chat with him (when he's awake!) and get back to you with other links.

I wonder what other users of the site will think of this?

Just a thought....

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 15:24:16 »
Dan

nice one... will sort sum dosh out sooooon, prob end of the monthy  8)

Ozzy

any chance of :SM013: emicon in here?  ::)?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 22:55:53 »
Hi Dan great news we can at last donate. donation winging its way towards you good luck i am sure 99% of the board will make some contribution. :) ;) :D ;D.
Cheers rosebud.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 12:51:41 »
Dan

Cheques/postal orders  made out to ?????????

who do we make these payable to dan?

cheers

Oz

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 12:55:16 »
Good point Oz,

I am

Daniel Fulton

Cheers

Dan (iel Fulton) !

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 15:49:19 »
Have just made anothe donation Dan, via PayPal.  Will try to remember to pay it more frequently. You supply a great service and a fabulous site, so well worth it!  Thanks,  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Dandy_Lion

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 20:45:16 »
Hi Dan,
Have donated via paypal...be grateful if you could confim if it has gone thro Ok.
Thanks for a great site..I'm sorry it is not mega bucks, but it is a start for now!!!
Thanks again
Sally
Dandy xx

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 17:51:20 »
YO Peeps

Yes you do get notified when u make donations via paypal,,, is good.. I was dead sort of concerend about internt payments but they it is totally safe, fact is u have more protection on internet according to expert puter peep, who has done some tweaks to me puter...... the Mint Visa card actually garuantees that u will be protected by internet fraud and not held responsible... i think most do now,,,, anyways grab a mint card and be a credit card tart... i is  ::) ::).. have just transferred dosh from one card onto Mint and am gonna enjoy a long long long interest free period 9 Mnths.. also if you are wary of internet and giving details.. why not open a little account speshly for the internet?? one that u use just for internet transactions??? when u want to make donation/purchase whatever..  just tranfer dosh between accounts via telephone banking and the required ammount is there,,,
just an idea

Oz

:-*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 17:53:26 by Ozzy »

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 19:55:26 »
My cheque went in the (snail) mail yesterday.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 21:29:52 »

Dan, I don't know if the following is any help, but having read the thread (& its associated thread) I thought I'd pass it on.

£60 a month seems a hugely excessive amount of money for your hosts to be charging you. My husband runs a website (using the same software, just a slightly different version) which is of a similar size so far as I can tell from the front end. We spend more like £80 - 90 per year with www.34sp.com

We've found them to be excellent - the package we're on allows us up to 5 gb of bandwidth per month & we pay £1.50 per 1gb that we go over that every month (which is pretty much every month ;D ).

If you need a larger amount of bandwidth, (we don't run the chat function on ours, so I don't know how much that eats into your bandwidth) they do a package aimed primarily at businesses which will allow you up to 10gb monthly transfer, 500 mb space, mailboxes & a whole load of other stuff which works out at around £19.99 per month / £240 a year. They don't have a set-up cost, and we havn't had any problems with them at all in the year we've been with them.  

It might be worth looking at changing your hosting package. That way you wouldn't have to worry so much about the donations from people not covering the bills  :-\

If you want any more details let me know & I'll nag the husband  :D

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 10:08:37 »
Cheers Mrs Gumboot,

I have now changed host, and pay less for the hosting.

Just to give you an idea, last month we used 15GB of data trasfer !

Cheers

Dan

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 10:20:16 »
This sure is one busy place then!

Glad you managed to find a better package  . . .  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!