Author Topic: Runner Beans - how many?  (Read 4659 times)

Lottie Lady 2

• Not So New ...
Runner Beans - how many?
« on: March 31, 2006, 17:05:21 »
Hi everybody,  This is my first time on A4A and my first 'proper' year of trying to grow Veggies.  Apologies if it is a dumb question but how many Runner bean plants would you recommend to feed, say a family of 4 - without getting a glut of beans?

Many thanks

LL2x
Caution!!!!Blonde Thinking!!!!

kippers garden

• Hectare
Re: Runner Beans - how many?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 17:12:50 »
I planted only 15 plants last year which all climbed up canes in a wigwam shape.  I'm the only one who likes runner beans in my family and i had more than enough for me (incl freezing some and giving some away).

Hope this gives you an idea.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 17:26:20 »
We grew 25.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 17:31:53 »
I've been doing some counting-on-fingers here...I'm only growing for one (ME) but like to give presents to peeps. AND I'm factoring in to your question the time that your early sown beans will produce - which equates to major production from other parts of your plot.........so, to not produce a glut for 4 persons + give all the other veggies you're going to be harvesting a chance to be equally appreciated by your family 8)...I'd hazard a guess at growing just SIX plants  now.........then stagger the sowing for another 8 summer sown plants to extend the season and give a remainder for freezing.....

Dunno know about my sums, but deffo think that 2 sowings are the way to go.....any thoughts, peeps?

Lishka

PS Tim! .... but you famously feed the Hungry Herd of Hundreds  on Sundays? LOL

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 17:51:00 »
I'm going to stick about 30 runners in and about 30 borlotti. I had way to many last year but sold them at work @£1 a carrier bag full.

Makes a dint in the seed bill, and they look prettier than sprouts.

As too earlier sowings it can frost in early June up here and that will just wipe them out. Normally beans will just keep goindg unless pinched out until autumn frosts so can't see much point in two sowings.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 17:56:33 »
If you LOVE runners and eat them for every meal with cheese on top  ::), your family will eat more than if they're an occasional treat.
Only time will tell! But if you follow Lishka's advice you should have plenty of beans for several weeks until late in the year. If you keep a notebook you'll be able to adjust for next year. How often I wished I'd made notes at the time! ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 18:11:55 »
I had 10 plants last year - there are only 2 of us eating them and really it was way too many!
May well try 2 plantings this year - but last year I was picking till late September, and would have gone on longer I think if we hadn't gone away for 2 weeks in early September leaving the plot to the tender care of a young friend. She didn't pick any at all - and my theory is that you need to keep picking hard to keep them going (bit like sweet peas!) Could be wrong of course. And you I always miss some in all that foliage.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 21:29:43 »
Agree on all counts. You need to keep picking for them to keep producing. I planted them as an afterthought  (12?) and had loads of wonderful beans until gales blew down the wigwams and frost killed the plants. 6 of us here. I'd plant many more if I had the space. I've never eaten runner beans before - always thought it was too cold in Scotland - but they were just terrific!

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 21:41:59 »
Good question LL + I'm glad I read it or I'd have ended up with the Scottish Bean Mountain!
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 22:28:01 »
Meanwhile, I STILL haven't decided how many I'm going to plant, myself (still counting fingers...) or when the 2nd lot need to be started off? ...just know that I want to avoid the glut situation I've had in previous years.

(Can't cope with a glut of runners AND courgettes AND saladings simultaneously) ::)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 23:30:39 »
I can empathise Lish!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 01:04:36 »
i'm having 8, for two of us plus whatever (if anything) there is any left over oh and the mates round the corner that donated the bath.

but that's only because i'vegfot a trellis of 4 canes each side and one plant to a cane with a sweet pea in between each bean.  symmetry.  and if i get anything at all i'll be well pleased method.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 09:36:40 »
From a gardening book that I often refer to ' Home grown vegetables ' it suggests two plants per person, this is just to feed you, no excess, hence none to freeze or store.  It also recommends a second sowing in June to replace the first sowing as quote " These will bear freely when the plants from an earlier sowing are past their best ".  It also recommends two weeks before sowing  to give a good sprinkling of soot and to lightly fork it in.  Anybody know why soot?, Is there a modern equivalent?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 13:43:08 »
Anybody know why soot?, Is there a modern equivalent?

I read somewhere that soot, being dark, makes the soil catch more rays and get warmer quicker. My equivalent is used coffee grounds, intended to mulch today but it was too windy :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 13:47:22 »
'A good sample of soot may contain as much as six per cent nitrogen in the form of sulphate of ammonia. Fresh soot is rather caustic and may be used as a soil fumigant to destroy insects and slugs. For use as a fertiliser it is best stored in the dry for three or four months.'
fromletsgogardening.co.uk

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 14:05:19 »
Ooh, scared by your new avatar graw :o, ran and checked at http://www.primalseeds.org/npk.htm for the nutrients in the coffee grounds and soot. The figures for coffee grounds are first, figures for soot are in brackets:

Nitrogen 2.08% (5.25%)
Phosphoric Acid 0.32% (1.05%)
Potash 0.28% (0.35%)

so coffee grounds are less 'nourishing' than soot. They might have more body though, and seem to deter slugs ;)

PS this link might suit you grawmentor if you want to check the npk composition of e.g. bat guano ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 14:09:39 by supersprout »

Lottie Lady 2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 17:17:00 »
Thank you all very much - I think I will take an average from all of your replies and go for 10 to grow up canes and I have an arch that I will grow 2 or maybe 4 plants up...I'm off to starbucks now to see if I can take some coffee grounds of their hands  ;)

Thanks again everyone...

LL2x
Caution!!!!Blonde Thinking!!!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 17:24:56 »
Thanks SS Iwas hoping people would be scared.  8) Part of my new grawmentor and fat controller image. ;D ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 17:36:03 »
Thanks SS Iwas hoping people would be scared.  8) Part of my new grawmentor and fat controller image. ;D ;D

Glad you're getting into training and taking your responsibilities seriously. 8).certainly frightening me :o - hope it has the required effect on the Rowdy element.....

Runners - I'm going to try 5 plants now with a second sowing of 5 in June. Hope that this will give me and my eldery clients runners during the summer, and more for me and the freezer later.

Thanks, LL2, for starting the thread :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 21:41:17 »
I grow around 30 plants and give plenty away

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal