Author Topic: sweet potatoes  (Read 5079 times)

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
sweet potatoes
« on: March 02, 2004, 09:26:55 »
Hello

Can anyone tell me if I can grow sweet potatoes in this country.  I live in Northants. UK.  If so, where can I buy seed?

Also, I have saved some butternut squash seeds from a squash, when should I sow them in the greenhouse for planting out?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
 :)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Re:sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:28:07 »
Hi alit, there was an article in last months Kitchen Garden mag which said you can grow sweet potatoes in this country. I haven't got the magazine to hand to give you the info, (maybe someone else has?) but I'll try to dig it out later!

Good luck,
jams   8)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 11:32:06 »
I'm growing butternut squash this year. I think you need to wait until about April to sow them so you can get them out when the frosts are over, but before they get too huge.
gone to pot :D

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:58:24 »
Thank you for the advice on the squashes.  I'll do that then.

Jams
Thats great news about the sweet pots.  I would really appreciate it if you would let me know what the artical says in Kitchen Garden about them.  I've never heard of the magazine, but will look out for it in the shops.

I asked about this at my allotment association and even the hardened experienced growers had never heard of growing them in the uk.  They didn't seem to think it was worthwhile as they didn't use them themselves, but I like to try and grow things that we like to use at home and that are pricey in the shops.  Everything has a better flavour home grown.

Sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, mooli and celariac are all delicious cut into chunks, roasted with some chilli oil and garlic.  mmmmmmmm

Look forward to hearing from you with any info.

Regards

Alit

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 15:05:07 »
I've got a copy - I can scan and e-mail you the article, or post it to you if you want - send me a pm with your details and I'll sort it out.

Cheers

Ceri

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 16:47:47 »
Hi Ceri, sent alit a copy of the subscription page too - the mag's well worth the money in my humble opinion  ;D

jams

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 17:00:51 »
Thanks Ceri and Jams, but how do I send a pm or how have you sent it to me - how can I access it.

Ta

Alit :)

sanone

• First lootie, want to be organic
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 09:06:07 »
I'm only new to alotments and the growing of things other than garden flowers and weeds but I'm quite good at the PC. ???

Using this latter skill I've found the web site for the magazine and ou can subscribe from there, As I have just done.. here's the link.

www.kitchengarden.co.uk

regards
sanone ;)

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 09:25:37 »
Thank you very much Sanone.  I'll do that.  Have you found it useful?

Good luck with the lottie.  This is my third year now and I have just moved to a new plot, with a shed, (my palace) so I'm really excited and rearing to go.

Thanks again.

Alit
 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal