Author Topic: carrots  (Read 1415 times)

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
carrots
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:46:24 »
my little girl sown some carrots back in January (packet was out of date ) iv just noticed that thy have germinated  even though the packet said march on it loulou will be over the moon when she comes in from school has any one else managed to get a good crop from a out of date packet (it was 3 years out of date her grate granddad gave it to her  ) or should i get rid and start again  ???

amphibian

Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:51:05 »
my little girl sown some carrots back in January (packet was out of date ) iv just noticed that thy have germinated  even though the packet said march on it loulou will be over the moon when she comes in from school has any one else managed to get a good crop from a out of date packet (it was 3 years out of date her grate granddad gave it to her  ) or should i get rid and start again  ???

The dates on packets are shorter than they need be, if they have germinated then they are good, simple really. Keep them.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:30:32 »
These dates are really just a guide, some crops are more susceptible to old seed than others. Two crops which spring to mind are parsnips and sweetcorn, no doubt there are others. Bear in mind though that this does not mean the seed will spoil, just that some of its vigour may have gone (a bit like me then really !  :D). I keep old seed on the offchance that I can throw on any clear piece of ground ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 13:27:41 »
I have pea seeds just germinating and the packet went out of date in 1997!  If they germinate, they will grow and every one is a bonus!  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:55:34 »
All dates on packets, whether seed or food, is guidance really and mostly so that shops aren't legally liable after the date has passed. One has to be a bit more careful eating food past its use by date (though I do so regularly). However, sell by dates can (within reason) be ignored. With seeds, just chuck them at the ground and see if they grow.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 13:41:19 »
Peas and beans will stay viable for decades if stored in a cold, dry place.

I remember reading about seeds buried with the pharoahs in the pyramids, which were succesfully germinated several thousand years later. Can't find any mention anywhere on the web, though.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 14:26:04 »
According to my seed book carrot seeds are good for three years. Go for it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 22:18:37 »
That's quite long-lived for an umbellifer; as a family, they tend to have very short-lived seeds.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 14:22:09 »
Onions,parsley and parsnios are the only seed I would not sow after they use by date.Most seeds have a life span of several years as long as they are not stored too hot and dry.Some say you should keep them in a fridge but i just have them ih my shed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal