Author Topic: When is a redcurrant not a redcurrant?  (Read 878 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
When is a redcurrant not a redcurrant?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:40:26 »
When it is a whitecurrant?

Dunno, but I planted 3x redcurrant bushes two years ago, and in the first year I got a few strings of redcurrants which were promptly pinched by the birds.  But they were definitely REDcurrants.

Last year the bushes produced quite a lot of berries, and because they were in a fruit cage now, they survived.
Actually they survived until they went rotten in December, because they stayed translucent white all the time.  I left them on in the hope that they would turn red.

Although they were fed on well-rotted horse muck, I presume this is a mineral deficiency or something similar?  Any ideas out there?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: When is a redcurrant not a redcurrant?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 13:37:37 »
Don't know the answer, but redcurrant and whitecurrant are cultivars of the same species and I think the variety Red Lake can even produce both red and white/pink berries at the same time.

So I wouldn't assume that it was necessarily a mineral deficiency.

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
Re: When is a redcurrant not a redcurrant?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 15:56:41 »
I think maybe they are kind of interchangeable sometimes. When I made whitecurrant jelly a few years ago, it came out a very dark pink, even though the berries were all translucent white as "normal". Maybe the temerature has something to do with it - keep them cool and they stay white, heat them up and they turn red?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal