Author Topic: SEED POTATOES  (Read 1830 times)

mellor

• Quarter Acre
SEED POTATOES
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:15:51 »
Hi All

Went up to check on my seed pots yasterday afternoon to find that the majority of them had filled with water and some had burst?

Why is this? Others stored in the same place are fine do i assume that its a bad batch or am i storing them wrong.

They've been in front of the shed window.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
Re: SEED POTATOES
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:40:50 »
Silly question maybe, but how do you mean "filled with water" and by burst, have they split open because of the water?

I had mine in a seed tray which inadvertently lost its poly cover and they lay soaked overnight. They dried OK albeit a bit shrivelled and time will tell what has happened to them as not due to harvest for 16 more weeks.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 07:43:37 »
Hi

Whole whole tuber itself has filled with a watery substance that smells a bit, so if you squeeze them it fizzles out the top

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:08 »
Sounds like it has rotten. If it has been kept inside that sounds unlikey but this is my first year growing potatoes (because of space restrictions) so maybe one of the more experienced people here may have encountered the same.

Out of interest, what variety was it (they) and how long since you checked them and they were OK?

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 07:55:48 »
They're Desiree's. I checked on them at the weekend and they were fine. May have something to do with the sudden increase in temp. May need to vent the shed a bit more!

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:02:17 »
I have some of them as well but all mine went into the ground on Saturday. Would have thought they would have been a bit more robust than that though???

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:39:32 »
Mellor, were they in a frost proof shed at all,another question for you were they home saved seed if they were they may have been infected with blight.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:51:07 »
Hi richard, They were at home for a while but looking back they may have been touched by frost. However not all of the pots that were stored have gone. They were shop brought so hopefully they weren't infected.

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:01:00 »
Hi Mellor, it does take time for the frost to come out of potatoes sometimes,so it may be frost.  Shop brought potatoes could also be infected with blight as well it is quite easy for them to pass over the sorting machines.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 09:05:26 »
Thanks for the info Richard. Think i'll bin them and start again. Hopefully the local garden centre will have some left.

Cheers

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 09:09:32 »
Think you are doing the wisest thing Mellor hope you manage to get some more,they should be some still about.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 09:14:36 »
May I just add at this point, make sure you do bin them, don't put them on your compost, or you may transfer diseases into your compost heap. This applies to any infected or 'failed' plants.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 09:17:12 »
Mellor

Where did you buy the Desiree seed pots from?  I know it can sometimes be a hassle, but rather than just throw them away and spend more money at the garden centre, why not complain to the company where you purchased the first lot from?  then you can spend the money you have saved, at the GC on something else ;D ;D

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:32:03 »
i got them form B & Q so probably my own fault really!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 13:14:36 »
If you still have the packet i'm sure B&Q will exchange as they are a big chain and it don't really matter to them . I would try for sure.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 19:49:10 »
Frosted potatoes go just like that so it probably was that.

mellor

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 10:07:30 »
cheers robert.

just needed confirmation form someone. might have to persuade the mrs to let me chit them at home. or just but them later!

Ta

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal