Author Topic: drainage  (Read 1284 times)

jamesmcinerney

drainage
« on: May 10, 2005, 14:14:28 »
hi,

could anyone tell me how draining a plot through planting works? our particular plots may have quite a lot of clay underneath the soil. i want to exploring all methods of drainage and planting seems like a cost effective and workable solution?

thanks.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
Re: drainage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 03:56:15 »
Hi James,
               The old worthies in our association say that planting Raspberries breaks up clay soil.

This apparently works because of the multitude of fine rootlets they produce and the depth that root system goes down.

I know from personal experience that having dug out all the Raspberry canes around the perimeter of my allotment, that the soil there was broken down to a depth of approximately 2 feet. (Digging deeper seemed a waste of time and effort)

All other areas of the plot are clay bound from about  8" down and the top soil is quite heavy.

I am giving serious consideration to planting Raspberry canes where the clay is at its worst and moving them every 3 seasons to improve the soil.

PREMTAL :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 15:59:16 »
Grazing Rye is supposed to help break down clay soil. I'm trying it this autumn (the best time to sow it).
gone to pot :D

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 13:08:33 »
Two suggestions I think I heard Bob F make

1    Deep rooted plants,  like parsnips.
Deep rooted weeds,  like dock,  cow parsley:  keep harvesting the leaves and dropping them on the ground for the worms to take down.

2   In the summer the clay will dry and crack:  pour coarse sand and compost into the cracks.
Good gardening!

John

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal