Author Topic: Mantis tiller  (Read 5202 times)

jane

Mantis tiller
« on: March 04, 2004, 23:39:34 »
 ??? I'm thinking of splashing out on a Mantis Tiller. Anyone got any experience of using one of these?
If you don't know what they are, look here: http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/Mantis.html

lavatera

• I love Allotments4All
Re:Mantis tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 06:37:46 »
If you want it ,go for it.Personally I think they are very expensive ( i would love one ) sorry have no experience of them, apart from that they are easier to handle than a larger rotavator.

Rob ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 07:07:49 »
I think they have modified them since but, when I tried one, it had no stop & go - when you started it, it went! I finally bought a Homelite 30cc @ £130.
Requirement- something I could carry 100 yards without too much effort. I find our big one a pain to shift - having to replace the depth gauge with the wheels each time. And then not easy.
But don't assume that the wee ones will break rough ground. They tend to scuff the surface, getting a bit deeper with each pass. They are not geared down to cope with clay. roots & rocks. And they are frantically noisy. Yes, they will refine the dug surface of a plot & get into small areas. I find it useful within its limitations. But even our 4.5HP machine would have a struggle to get down to "10 inches".

The suppliers will tell you who's got one - go try it first, like I did.

Apologies to Mantis if this should be misleading. = Tim

Sorry again - HOW do I make it smaller??

« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:30:53 by tim »

BOROBOY

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 07:23:43 »
Again I have no experience of this machine. There was a four page article in December 2003 issue of Kitchen Gardener magazine p.24-28.
Hope this is of some use.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 10:29:12 »
I bought a Mantis 7 years ago. No complaints. I used it to break up the lumps in March after turning new ground in October. I'm quite happy with it. OK, it's not meant to turn a building site into Kew, but for use on the allotment where I have no other sort of power than back muscles, I'm very happy with the results I get.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 11:20:05 »
B'Boy - unlikely to find it - what's the synopsis?? = Tim

jane

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 22:14:02 »
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my query. I'll let you know what I decide.

BOROBOY

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 07:59:44 »
Authors plot was on clay soil. Her husband used to dig plot first and she would use it to create a fine seed bed. She stated that it was great for that. Also good for keeping on top of weeds.It will till to a depth of 25cm at 240 revs per minute. She recommends purchase of optional stand as she can rest during session. There are a wide range of attatchments, though she does not state whether these ar options. These are furrower, planter, wheel kit plant protector, lawn edger, lawn aerator, lawn thatcher, hedge trimmer and patio crevice cleaner. I suspect they are options as the rrp is £349. It is easy to move around plot and is 20lb in weight. 22cc 2 stroke engine. Economical to run. Tankful of 50:1 ratio fuel lasted 6 months. FOR: Very light and easy to carry. Easy to start. Economical. Weeds effecively. Incorporates manure. Tills deep enough for sowing or planting most crops.- AGAINST: Tines have tendency to bounce about on the surface if soil compact and hard. Optional stand essential if you want to rest between rows.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 18:56:01 »
Thanks for that B-Boy. But, until I'm proven wrong, I still say that although it's a very useful cosmetic gadget, please show me that it digs to 10", even with all its noise, and from pasture etc?? And KK says ' breaking up lumps' - OK - that's easy.

This is NOT directed at YOU!! I say this only to prevent someone being disappointed. = Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 06:54:58 »
I was quite prepared to be proven wrong and I'm now going to take the other tack.
At the same time, would like to know what jane decided.

Thoughts now - having seen the latest ads:
1.New engine;
2. !00 days free trial;
are that, if you can afford the return carriage & its hassle, and if you realise that it's not a ground breaking machine, and if you are prepared for noise (if it is excessive like mine), and if you accept that no compromise machine (all the other tasks) can ever be as good or convenient as a dedicated one - and knowing that you can carry it, and that it will fit in the 'boot' - then it must be well worth a try??

I'm almost tempted myself! = Tim

(But it works "back & forth" - "like a vacuum cleaner" - a little slow??  A bit different to my 50x30 feet in 25 min.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:08:49 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 08:35:47 »
Well, it would be nice to be able to afford dedicated m/c's for all the gardening tasks. M/c's that allow changeable 'working bits' are a good compromise. Only ever having owned the Mantis I can only speak about that particular m/c. Digging down 10"....no problem with mine, but not on virgin soil that's compacted. I use mine in spring after the frost has done it's bit on my turned over lumps. I use it to turn in compost, no problem. I swap the cultivating tines for the planter furrow tines and create furrows to a depth/height of about 10"...no problem. With the edger I can cut a straight line between garden and grass. (Don't usually bother, tho'.)
In a few weeks time I'll do what I did last year and break-up an area of about 20 x 5 metres. This will take me about 2 hours (with a few stops) and two passes and the result will be finely tilled soil. I'll do it using about 4 pints of petrol. One other thing I like about it is that you work backwards. This means you aren't walking on the bit you have just turned. There maybe better m/c's out there, but me? I wouldn't swap mine for anything.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 08:37:45 by kenkew »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 09:01:31 »
OK - we've now got it from the horse's mouth?

But 'walking backwards'? - me? - you have to be joking!! I need something that is self-propelled, --> that way!

And, of course, changing from one task to another - a 'man's job'? But then, one doesn't have to have the bibs & bobs. How about noise, KK? And is the speed controllable, or is it 'flat-out' all the time? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 12:00:33 »
Well, first off, I start it up and it just sits there ticking over until I open the throttle. At certain rev's the 'clutch' engages and it moves forwards. I walk behind controlling the speed until I get to the starting point. I open the throttle a little more and resist it's forward motion. This makes the sharp tines dig into the soil. Depending on the speed I walk backwards will determing the depth I go down. So, yes, the speed is controllable in that the speed you move determines the speed of the action. Faster means a lighter turning, slower gives you a deeper dig.
Changing tines is a very simple procedure. Turn it off first! Pull out the self locking pin and slide one set of tines off one side. Put on the 'other' type of tines. Do the same at the other side. Off you go. Tine removal makes for ease of cleaning too.
Noise is, of course, comparable with any other same size two stroke engine. Personally I didn't buy all the 'bits and bob's...I have a set of double bladed cultivating tines, a set of single bladed furrower tines and an edging cutter which fits on either side opposite a whell so you get a cut just on one side.
I have the info from mantis some place if anyone want me to go through it for them. I like it, but, as I say, apart from the very heavy agricutural m'c's that can be hired, the Mantis is the only one I've had long term experience with. For the money, (7 years ago) it was a very good buy. I'm pleased with it.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 12:51:51 »
Brilliant description!

But don't go away folk, because I've ordered the video etc.

Some answers - 22cc, .65hp, as compared with my 30 cc - new engine to meet EU (wouldn't it!!) regs of 75? decibels - yes, rotation speed controllable - etc  - I'll be back! Oh, and they now do an electric one - .6 hp - great for Sunday in Suburbia??

Oh, and of course, it's down to £299! = Tim
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:12:23 by tim »

jane

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 19:16:53 »
Thanks to everyone who has answered my question - I'm overwhelmed by the response.  :)
Anyway I have finally decided not to get a mantis because a) I decided I had better watch my pennies and b) I thought that as i am creating raised beds on my new allotment I won't want to walk on them in order to use a tiller - I know I should have thought of this in the beginning shouldn't I?
Again thanks to everyone who replied.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 19:51:59 »
Check out all that you want from a m/c and get the best for the work you want to do. Let's know how you get on.
(I have raised beds and I use the Mantis there too.)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 10:14:29 »
OK - someone had to stick their neck out. So - I'm trying the electric one - great for Sunday mornings - and returnable within 3 months. Can't say fairer than that?

First impression? Heavier to drag backwards against the rotation than to control a big machine. Second - the tine shield acts like a bulldozer & drags soil back with it. And 'hoeing' between rows tends to earth up the plants. Third - with a long lead, a cable reel is a must. Coiling by hand just results in knots & twists.
Weight? I wouldn't want it an ounce heavier! But at least I used it on both ends of the garden this am, and they are some way apart.

Comments, Ken? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 11:25:10 »
Never used the electric one, Tim. Personally I'd be none too happy with electricity and cables and walking backwards, etc. The petrol engined one I use works well for me, (used it last weekend to air the soil, pic on here someplace.) The tine guard I've not had trouble with, if the working angle is right there shouldn't be a problem.
The earthing up effect you're getting could be 'cos you have the furrow tines on, either that or the cultivating tines are the wrong way round. Took me a few tries to get that right. My model is about 7/8 years old, I dunno if the newer ones are designed differently.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 12:37:40 »
Thanks, Ken . We don't have the luxury of choice of tines. We just have to turn ours around for either 'tilling' or 'cultivating'.

Electrics - yes, indeed. I've been through cables with the best of them. But I think I've learned! And I DO use an RCD. = Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 09:26:14 by tim »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004, 07:16:00 »
Well, here it is. Incorporating muck. Tries hard, but does get clogged up too frequently. And it's old muck.

We'll see. I'm beyond dragging the big one from one end to the other. = Tim       (PS - don't know how that big pic got in - this one's more modest!)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 08:33:34 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal