Author Topic: Spindly Seedlings  (Read 1315 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Spindly Seedlings
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:09:15 »
Can anyone tell me why my marigolds and tomato seedlings look so spindly.  They have very long stalks.  They are on south facing windowsill and I turn them each day.

Anything I can do to make them sturdier?

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
Re: Spindly Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:03:24 »
What temperature have you got them at? If the room is too hot then they will tend to go spindly or leggy.

I have found that anything above about 15-17degC is too hot for most things. Tomatoes and peppers seem to be happy around 18degC. I ended up turning off the radiator in the room where I was raising seedlings and now put them in a mini greenhouse outside.

Hope this helps,

Robsa

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 12:33:04 »
radiator not on in that room but I suppose it is quite warm as they are on a south windowsill.  I have a mini greenhouse which again faces south so I may put the next lot straight in there.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 12:54:27 »
My marigolds, once germinated, went into the greenhouse from the conservatory to try and keep them butch!    It is amazing how hot a south facing windowsill can be - on a hot day last week, my south facing conservatory hit the mid 80's.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 13:17:23 »
Light, light & light!!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 14:43:20 »
Think I would be tempted to re-pot them and to bury them down in the compost just below there leaves.  Done this myself when seedlings have grown a bit spindly and it seems to have worked ok.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal