Author Topic: Heating a small lean-to coldframe... possible?  (Read 5616 times)

Sulis

• Not So New ...
  • 'Things won are done, joy's soul lies in the doing
Heating a small lean-to coldframe... possible?
« on: March 04, 2004, 14:14:56 »
When you have a very small back garden and half-size allotment like I do, space is at a premium. I've recently taken on my allotment and so i'm really starting from scratch. As a result, i've no greenhouse, coldframe or cloches to help me with germination. On top of that, I don't earn a huge amount of money and i'm in the middle of decorating my house, which has in the past taken up a good chunk of my income.

So, with the sob story over (!), i'm looking to buy one of those small, lean-to type coldframes. Not sure of the exact name, but it's about 5ft long, 4ft high and 2ft deep, with shelving. It should be enough to hold the vast majority of seeds I wish to germinate, and of course, takes up little room. I'm placing it in my own garden against a wall.

Has anyone used one of these and how did you heat it? I'm looking at a small paraffin heater, which seems quite cheap. There is no electrical point to use and I don't have the knowledge to install one myself. My concern here is the build-up of fumes in such a small space if I were to use a paraffin heater.

I'm seriously running out of space in the spare room upstairs... there is a temporary table erected near the window, my only source of light & warmth to germinate at the moment. Naturally, my other half, bless her, isn't too happy that i've transformed the spare bedroom into a makeshift greenhouse (sic).

Anyone have any advice/thoughts? Apart from saving up for a proper greenhouse, that is!

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
Re:Heating a small lean-to coldframe... possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 14:38:38 »
Hi Sulis

I have recently purchased one of those plasic 'greenhouses'.  They do them for £29.99 in Wilkinsons & Poundstretcher and in ASDA (at £39.99).  At about 6'x4' if will just about fit in my tiny back yard.

I will be interested to know how to heat this too...I have the same situation as you but with the added problem of a plastic cover...that I dont want to melt!!

I am hoping (my fingers have been crossed for about 6months now  ::)) that I will get an allotment from the council soooon...they have promised to be intouch soon  ::)!  

In the meantime I have decided to start some seeds off... ;D

Any advice welcome!!

Andrea

minerva

• Quarter Acre
    • Antiquities
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 14:49:32 »
 8)  i have used both the lean-to and the 6 x 4 green plastic greenhouse, down my lotty for the past two years, they are really useful, the plastic zips will rip almost as soon as you start using them if you are not careful with your zip action, but apart from that they seem to be too hot most of the time, i put holes in the back of my old one, but the new cover i have put on this year has holes in it already.  I also put lots of bubblewrap around the inside of the leanto when i had small seedlings in there last spring that kept them warm at night, i will do the same this year.  the lean to one is much cooler on the bottom shelves, this probably seems ovious but i lost  some squash plants last year when they were near the bottom.  have not tried actually heating them in anyway but i am down south!!
sam
xx

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 14:53:58 »
Thanks Sam...I've read Sparkys post on plastic greenhouses and the zip thing seems to be common...I'll keep the bubble wrap in mind

I'll have to practise my zip acton on something  ;)

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 15:26:19 »
I notice you do not have any electric available or I would have said a rod heater.

Try this but be careful you don't set things afire.

Place a nightlight candle on a lower shelf then place an upturned tin can over it, ensuring that the can is kept a little off the bench top to allow air in.

This will act like a radiator and it is surprising how much heat it gives off.

Watch your fingers when you remove the can it can get quite hot.

I have done the same on occasions with an electric light bulb fitted inside a tin can. ( same principle)

nb You can light as many candles as you want, but I say again, be careful the set up is not against any combustable material, e.g the plastic cover!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 15:26:49 by The gardener »

The Gardener

Sulis

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 17:06:31 »
So with a glass lean-to-type-thing (really must find out what the proper term is for these), I should be okay? Seems like a cheap way to add a bit of warmth, and I know where to pick up a bag of those night lights for a couple of quid. Thanks :)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 18:50:48 »
I have used a small paraffin heater in my cold frame.Over the years i found it useful and economical to run.
Last Autumn i graduated to a glass greenhouse,{as yet no power} so i have been using my small heater again to keep frost at bay
Fumes have not been a problem in the greenhouse,although in the cold frame the lid was left slightly open to avoid any problems.
anne

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 22:33:52 »
One thing Sulis, quite often those cheap tea lights don't burn terribly long.  You really want to try and get proper night lights which burn literally for hours and hours.  I guess a good hardware type store would do them, my dad used to get mine from Prices candles in Battersea.  Why did I tell you that, no idea.... just thinking about the old fella I guess  :'(  I used to have a wee little plassy lean to affair and I bought the smallest paraffin heater possible and it really did the trick.

SueT

• Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 22:57:21 »
Sulis did you see EmmaJanes link to www.Lidl.co.uk
in The Shed............lots of bargains for you there! ;) ;D
Sue

minerva

• Quarter Acre
    • Antiquities
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 11:12:37 »
Had a chat with a friend last night and he said that he gets a small hay bale covered in a plastic bag (that they sell in garden centres for rabbits and things) and puts it at the bottom of his lean to, then he makes holes in it and keeps it wet, so apparently it collects all the heat during the day and then takes all night to cool back down, so the greenhouse never gets cold at night and also it keeps the whole thing humid all the time.?
like a storage heater i geuss, maybe it would work, i might give it a go.
keep practicing the zip action andi !
sam
xx

Sulis

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 19:46:59 »
Some more ideas to play around with! Again, thanks :)

I think i've found what i'm looking for. There's an advert in the latest Gardener's World for a cheap but suitable lean-to for something like £40. It's not brilliant, but it will do me fine I think, and is a good temporary solution.

In the meantime, my allotment is screaming for my attentions :)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 18:02:41 »
sulis, don't spend cash on a ready made number - i have madea frame using breeze blocks,lined with polystyrene and covered with someold sash windows i found in a skip - total cost about 35 squids - and for this, i got a decent amountof space. I have not used mortar,just drybuild after levelling ground and stomping down earth.
But......I have also had a small cheapie plastic number which has proved to be priceless. Heating is usually a couple of tea-lights but onlyif we are going to have a vicious freeze. Good Luck whatever you do, space for sowing is invaluable.

Steve__C

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 19:15:41 »
Two things,

Firstly, keep your eyes open in the local papers for a second hand glass greenhouse. You can often pick them up for free.

Secondly, if you are after an allotment.... go to your local site, speak to the guys down there, make a note of which plots are not being worked.  Take the list to the Council Allotment Officer and demand one of them. You will be amazed at the response. It's not normally worth the Council's while to let the plots, therefore they will fob you off by placing you on an imaginary waiting list.
Regards
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal