Author Topic: vine weevil  (Read 6055 times)

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
Re: vine weevil
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 14:12:18 »
veggie,...got some fleece,gonna do that now,brilliant,ta

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 14:17:09 »
gardengirl,..levington compost is now on my must buy list.,,our lass also agrees

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 14:24:42 »
Strawberries - watch out for your strawberries! I had some lovely little strawb plants in pots that i went to plant in my new fruitbed on thurs but half of them had been completely munched!! I managed to rescue the others but there was much swearing...
kentishchloe,...somethig just came to mind and has got me thinking ,..i had some beautiful alpine strawberries but lost the lot last year and i dont know why,,it could have been due to weevils but i am just guessing,sadly to say i just didnt take the trouble to look ,..if i had it might have prevented the situation i am now in,.i hang my head in shame,tezz,....if only ,but its too late now :'( :-[ :( >:(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 14:35:41 by tezz brown »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 14:46:47 »
Just a thought, but I think it would be unwise to use the plant protection compost on edible plants - read instructions carefully :o
Happy gardening all...........Pat

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 15:41:11 »
Hiya  :D
Texx B I had exactly the same prob, posted a message a couple of weeks ago under 'pests and diseases'. I saw the evil weevil in my pots and feared the worst. Went to Wilko's and bought Provado, it's a thick white liquid which you dilute, and used it on all my plant pots straight away. However after a couple of weeks the plants seem ok but there are lots and lots of dead woodlice everywhere. Am assuming it's the provado that has killed em as it stays in the soil for up to 4 months to get rid of the vine weevil. Haven't seen any dead worms tho!  :(

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 17:24:07 »
Just a thought, but I think it would be unwise to use the plant protection compost on edible plants - read instructions carefully :o
point taken gardengirl,it will be used solely on non edible plants in containers,..the alpine strawbs where in deed in containers of normal peat compost when they died and what i should have done at that time was find out the reason why,....but i didnt because i was lax and am now paying the price because of my lazyness ,...in future i will make a bigger effort in finding out the reason why  and take some action to rectify the problem,..thanks again

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 19:18:47 »
Does anyone have a picture of vine weevil grubs :-\

Just to make certain ... are these little creamy coloured b*****s tapered at both ends, reddish brown head, and just under 1/2" long?

What ever these are, Robin thinks they are caviar ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 21:26:31 »
www.gardenforum.demon.co.uk

There are some photos on this site flowerlady
Happy gardening all...........Pat

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:00 »
Oh boy they are them  >:( 

Thanks for the bad news ;D  Lucky robin!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 10:28:18 »
I've found that vine weevil beasties are loved by birds - I pick them out of the soil, put them out and within 10 mins they're all gobbled up.

Melanie

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34:04 »
I've nearly got robin eating out of my hand  :D

sumbody

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 18:30:09 »
last year as a test I mixed coir compost with the normal multi purpose - and although the plants did not do as well, there were no weevils in the busy lizzies (a weevil favourite) or fuchsias/geraniums - but when re-potting and dividing my herbs I found one or two in a couple of pots - but nothing on the scale I normally get them - they were in the mint, and mostly the oregano.

I am looking for coir that has fertiliser added this year to do the same again - and will pot EVERYTHING in it I think.  Cheaper than Levingtons as I have lots and lots of pots and it comes delivered too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal