Author Topic: Weedy Calla Lilies  (Read 1850 times)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Weedy Calla Lilies
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:49:40 »
Hi All,

After my two carrier bags of booty from Wilkisons last month, I planted up amongst other things 3 Calla Lillies.

One was rotten when I got it out of the packet, but I sliced off the soggy bits and planted it anyway as it was showing growth & is now still going but very stubby.  The other two on the other hand have shot away and  have 5 long pale weedy leaves which can't support their weight to stay upright.  I'd describe them as "drawn"  too much heat, not enough light.

What should I do?  Can I still get healthy flowers & bulb for next year?  I can't find anywhere with more light indoors, so are they doomed?

Any help gratefully received.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Weedy Calla Lilies
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 21:21:02 »
They'll be OK. Put them somewhere cooler if you can - they really shouldn't be up yet. When the light picks up you'll get some better leaves; should be fine next year if you feed them up. You may still get some flowers, too.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 14:21:27 »
Thanks Rosa,

got home last night & found one tuber rotted and the leaves on the floor, I'll move the other two the MIL's conservatory.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 19:59:16 »
Hi All,

After my two carrier bags of booty from Wilkisons last month, I planted up amongst other things 3 Calla Lillies.

One was rotten when I got it out of the packet, but I sliced off the soggy bits and planted it anyway as it was showing growth & is now still going but very stubby.  The other two on the other hand have shot away and  have 5 long pale weedy leaves which can't support their weight to stay upright.  I'd describe them as "drawn"  too much heat, not enough light.

What should I do?  Can I still get healthy flowers & bulb for next year?  I can't find anywhere with more light indoors, so are they doomed?

Any help gratefully received.

froglets,..im a new member on the site and read your post, rosa is right you have started them off too early,they should be starting into growth about now,my wife and i have just repotted halve adozen that we have over wintered in our green house and they are just showing life,..we are keeping our fingers crossed and are expecting the results you can see in the attached photo,...good luck to you they are worth it...tezz
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3785/june2035ux.jpg

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:38:31 »
Thanks Tezz, I've been being quite smug about holding back sowing stuff for the vegie plot, but guess the desire to get things started got the better of me.

Will put the Callas into remedial maintenance mode & wait a bit longet next year.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 23:50:10 »
I grow the white variety and leave outdoors all year with a mulch to protect them through the winter.They  do OK ,even up here....but watch out...... the slugs love them !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal