Author Topic: Plastic cold frame/4 tier mini greenhouse - where and what to buy?  (Read 10627 times)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
Hi all.... the window sills are not filled with assorted seedlings, some growing and some, well, quiet. As I dont have a greenhouse or conservatory to use, I have wanted one of those small 4 shelf plastic for a while so I can better plan what and when I plant my seeds.

Where is a good (cheap) place to get one from? I have seen some in a local garden centre for £30, plus this one on ebay (slightly larger than I was looking for but the price seems good).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-WALK-IN-GREENHOUSE-FOR-PLANT-SEEDLINGS-BNIB_W0QQitemZ7752724851QQcategoryZ42153QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you all think?

Cheddar, Somerset

fluffygrue

• Acre
Dunno, I've been tempted by these as a sort of polytunnel for the lottie for growing tomatoes, aubergines etc.  My main concerns are whether it'll stay put in strong winds, and whether plants would get enough ventilation in summer..

Anyone have one?

Melanie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
I've had one for a few years. I find it works well, and keeps my seedlings off the ground and away from the slugs. It stands agianst the shed, and has never blown over yet. You can raise the plasic in front, but I haven't tried keeping anything in it over the summer.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
hi ,i had 1 lasted bout 4 years, for the money they,re preety good, saw them for sale last year at £19 (robert dyas),think someone saw them at lidls/  morrisons.

DenBee

• Acre
This week we bought at Poundstretcher a couple of the 3 tier mini greenhouses. for a tenner each (definitely worth it, sames ones are £23 on Amazon).  I also have a single shelf 6 x 4 walk in poly greenhouse, bought for £20 from Morrisons.

Yesterday I put a small one inside the 6x4, and put in a fair few trays of seedlings.  I hadn't pegged down the bigger one properly, or used the guy ropes.  Last night it was quite windy.

This morning I spent a fair amount of time repotting seedlings and shallots.  ::)

My own fault.  I hadn't reckoned in the kite factor.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
A tip for the walk in ones is to lay bricks around the flap on the ground to help weigh it down. I have used them for a good few years and have never had a problem.

Burying the bottom of the sides would also work well,

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Got two 4-shelf ones from B&Q about 4 or 5 years ago, cost about £20 each then, found them very good for protecting from wind and cold - however they do like other plastic structures get very hot when the sun comes out, so if you do zip at night, then remember to unzip every day. This also helps with humidity - sometimes moulds can form if ventilation is poor.Mine are in the back garden, which is sheltered, so I don't have a problem with the wind blowing them away, but I agree with Jerry about making sure they are well anchored.

The other thing I am finding now is that the plastic is starting to deteriorate. I have looked after the covers, taking them off and washing them, then storing them in the summer months. I find I can do some repairs using clear sticky-back plastic - put a piece on both sides of the tear, large enough to extend well past where the tear finishes. I have even managed to sew the zip back where it came away by using sticky-back plastic to re-inforce the old plastic. Hopefully they'll last for a few years yet. :)

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
You can get the replacement covers as well - there are different manufacturers out there and some covers are more durable than others.

There are also shaded covers to protect a bit from the heat.

What are others peoples experience with anchoring? Not sure about the cost but what about eyelets and tent pegs through the covers as well as with the structure? As long as they are not on concrete guess that would be fairly secure.

Petera

• Not So New ...
I anchor mine to a wall or fence using hooks and a bungie cord.The type used to tie stuff to aroof rack.They have not blown away yet,

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
Only lost one of them on the one occasion - apart from repotting, biggest problem was grouping together 50 potatoes sat chitting away. Smaller Maris Peer's and bigger Pentland Javelins a bit iffy to sort. Mind you, they all go in together and see what growth sticks out if they were wrong.

Helenclare

• Not So New ...
  • lovely, it's raining and no longer cold
Re: Plastic cold frame/4 tier mini greenhouse - where and what to buy?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 21:18:23 »
Mine blew away down the garden yesterday as it wasn't weighted down properly and my seedlings  were dumped all over the patio I'm sad to say and I have had to start again.....so do make sure that if you use one it is secure and weighted down well ::)

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 21:20:02 »
I do like the hook/bungee idea. Do you make holes in the back of the cover to pop the bungee hooks through?

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 21:22:33 »
bought a new one from focus a couple of wks ago for £13, wider than the standard too !! (they were selling them off)

and i placed a compost bag on the bottom shelf but be careful to allow enough ventilation when it gets warmer.
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 21:30:42 »
Guess the weight helps but too tight to waste a shelf  ;D

Petera

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 21:48:35 »
Ref. The bungee idea.No I do not make any holes.I just wrap them roubd the mini green house.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 10:20:13 »
Got one of the 4ft high lightweight ones: three bricks in the bottom and shoved into a corner or it dances around the patio. Only  a year old and the plastic is coming away from the zip so mending is due already.  Little ovens in summer but best source of light for non-bendy plants.  Can't really anchor it in any other way than bricks as the cover's not long enough and the plastic tears easily when punctured.  It's been a boon so far and I put the bigger seedlings out there last night.

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 20:34:31 »
I bought a big walk-in plastic greenhouse from Morrisons, I think it cost about £20. To be honest, it wasn't very good as the rain water collected on the top and stretched the plastic and split the seams. I took it back and got a refund.

I then went to Wyevale and bought a smaller walk-in one for an extra £10, but was far better in quality. The plastic has got a mesh material in between the plastic layers and is much heavier.

I *think* it may last for a good couple of years.

Louisa x

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 20:53:23 »
I did the same as Petera - fixed hooks into the wall either side, near the top, and I use a piece of plastic-covered wire, the sort used for hanging net curtains, to secure it.  It's never moved in 3 years!

But yes, the plastic tore away from the zip very early on, and it gets quite brittle as time goes on.  And I was almost caught out by the heat inside - had some fuschias nearly expire on me on a sunny spring day, just got them out in time.  Little bitta sun and it turns into an oven.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 10:58:45 »
Hm, bungee cord is a good idea. Maybe if it's not near a wall you could use one of those screw-in dog stakes that are sold to anchor dogs to the ground if you're camping.. they tend to be pretty sturdy, better than tent pegs etc.. Might try that on the lottie, hm.

Melanie

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 15:07:19 »
I was in Aldi earlier today, and they were selling the 6 x 4 single tier, heavier-duty cover walk in greenhouse for £29.99.  The cover, which is the green stuff rather than the clear, does look a bit sturdier than on the £20 model I bought from Morrisons.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal