Author Topic: Slugs and snails..........  (Read 1213 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Slugs and snails..........
« on: March 24, 2006, 20:36:50 »
This morning I found two tomato plants decimated and a tiny slug sleeping off the night's meal of two busy lizzies on the soil of one of the covered modules in my greenhouse. The busy lizzies are in modules with covered plastic tops, so I was surprised this evening when I went to check that all was well to find a small snail on the INSIDE of the propagator! I then took off the top of another one and found a tiny slug which had just started to consume another busy lizzy. How on earth do the blighters get in? The tops fit well and the bases do not have holes >:(  In all, I found, and disposed of, 3 small snails and five tiny slugs by going over every single pot and tray with a torch to seek out the blighters.

My new Lidl slug traps are now in position and hopefully the beer will attract the slugs away from the plants. I can't cover all the pots and soon the busy lizzies will have to be potted on too. I remember that last year I lost over half my B-L  plants to slugs.

Anyone have an answer to the problem of slugs and snails in the greenhouse?

Tricia

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
Re: Slugs and snails..........
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 22:24:59 »
I scatter a few slug pellets in my greenhouse.Many times i have lost plants to just 1 or 2 slugs.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 22:42:15 »
sounds like they were already in the compost
It'll be better next year

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 10:39:38 »
sounds like they were already in the compost

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  With eggs in the compost, would sticking the compost in the microwave beforehand do the trick? :o ;D ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 15:17:01 »
Yes, you can sterilize soil/compost in that way but it can smell a bit.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 17:31:16 »
All my compost was put into the microwave at 850 watt for one minute - it came out steaming a bit but did not smell. I did this to warm the soil as it was so cold outside where it was stored. Maybe the answer is to keep it in the microwave even longer?

Tricia  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal