Author Topic: Growing through plastic..  (Read 3044 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Growing through plastic..
« on: May 12, 2006, 22:17:54 »
.....Or similar mulch

Do you do this and if so what do you grow in this way?

I normaly use this f ;Dor potatoes, but this year I have tired it with my cabbages. I hope it means they will need less watering, weeding and dont bolt like my spring ones did!

Anyone got any tips for growing veg in this way?

PS I actualy use porous landsacape fabric rather than plastic but the effect is the same i guess except watering is easier. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Growing through plastic..
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:19:07 »
I've never done it, but some of my neighbours do. You can grow squashes, and probably a lot of other things, the same way.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 14:26:50 »
Did last yr- worked well with pumpkin & courgette but spuds were ravaged by slugs etc.  May try toms this year.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 17:10:26 »
Anything that's a big enough plant when you pop it thru the hole - squash, toms, I've even grown leeks this way :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 19:11:31 »
Anything that's a big enough plant when you pop it thru the hole - squash, toms, I've even grown leeks this way :)

Hmm, Tomatoes sound a good one to try - never been brave enough to grow toms in the ground before.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 19:24:27 »
... never been brave enough to grow toms in the ground before.

Isn't it funny how different we all are? I wasn't brave enough to try tomatoes in pots until last year! Have always grown them direct.  :)
I use the woven black plastic for my fruit trees and bushes, but think I will try it for some squashes this year, should help cut down on the watering I hope.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 19:31:07 »
Oops not quite truthfull there, I did try some bush varieties once. The attempt was a disaster, as they got badly blighted. Have stuck to pots ever since (also partly due to lack of space). At least you can move them around a bit in pots and try and avoid the blight. Plus toms will grow and crop hapily in pots which saves space on the plot for plants that dont do so well in pots.

I wonder whether they are more or les suseptable to blight when grown through a sheet mulch/plastic? Id be interested to know.

Jennym - if you ned any tips/advice for growing toms in pots let me know.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 19:39:25 »
Sorry if I am dragging the thread off topic, but if growing tomatoes outside, what is the benefit of growing in pots ... ?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 19:53:50 »
hapily in pots which saves space on the plot for plants that dont do so well in pots.

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 22:16:13 »
..Jennym - if you ned any tips/advice for growing toms in pots let me know.

Well, Richard, will be growing most direct in the soil, but do intend to try and grow a very long cordon tomato outside, longer than 12 feet if possible. So, what sized pot would you use, how would you keep it watered (I can just about get over to the plot daily) and what would you feed it?  ;D
I am trying this with Gardeners Delight, and I have one I've selected which is currently around 3 feet.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 14:49:39 »
Hello Jennym

Tomatoes in pots, here goes:

Pot - as large as you can get/afford,  but reaisticaly between 9 and 12 inches in diameter (same in depth), which is about 7 litres.

Compost - I use a 50:50 multipurpose/John Innes 3 mix.

Watering - You should try to keep the watering as even as possible, rather than a drought followed by deluge (which causes blosom end rot in the fruit). So basicaly try to gice them the same amout of water every day (or equivalent of if you cant get over the plot every day). I use a small flowerpot sunk in the compost next to the plant  This way if you fill the flowerpot with the same amount of water each time then you cant go far wrong.

12 feet cordon! If i understand you right then you'll need a massive cane/stake support for one that size.

Feeding - use a proprietary tomato food from the garden centre. Follow the directions on the packet. Tomorite is a good one.  Feed once a week once the flowers start forming.

Then enjoy the fruits when they arrive!

I didnt realise you meant to grow toms in pots on an allotment. Gven the attention pot grown ones need, Perhaps the lottie is not the ideal place But if you want to give it a try, go for it.

I hope this helps

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 20:44:59 »
Thanks for that.
I intend to string the tomatoes in loops, probably using the side of the shed plus posts - I got to just below 12 ft last year using the frame of a mini greenhouse, but unfortunately someone pinched it! So I can't use that again  :(
Am using a pot for this because the shed is a handy place to start the stringing from, and there are slabs around it.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 23:50:59 »
Jenny I grow quite a few in pots both in the greenhouse and outside also. I always put a good base of w/r horse manure in the pots and then mulch with w/rotted about August time when fruiting has really taken off. Your prob's going to be stopping them drying out......have you thought of rigging up a water dripfeed device  to them?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 18:28:10 »
Alishka - think I will follow your example with the horse manure, must give it a bit of body! Yes, watering the toms is a concern, I can get over and water every day but will rig something up - I don't intend to do many like this but want to make the effort for the long one :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal