Author Topic: Sow.....what have you sowed?  (Read 17733 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Sow.....what have you sowed?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2004, 12:59:09 »
Right, thats it, I am going down my greenhouse to see if anything else has emerged.  I am getting jealous of you lot and am feeling left out.  I thought I had a lot growing!!!!!!    >:(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2004, 13:31:07 »
EJ - at least you can just pop outside to check yours. I wanna see how mine are doing, but that would involve a one-hour journey. I hope they are ok by themselves! (I'm turning into a real mother here!)

When I said I sowed five toms and have four up - it was five varieties, not five seeds. I don't know how many seeds to was (maybe 60?) Still haven't got any growth on the yellow plum toms and I'm worried the delphiniums are doomed never to grow.  :'(
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2004, 13:58:07 »
Well, went and checked and nothing new up.  Mind you, checked on my chillis which are in my conservatory and got all excited.......growth..... then I realised it was more toms - Hungarian Giants.  60 tomato plants Aqui!  Where are you going to plant them all?  I think I will have about 30 when all are up and growing and I am worrying about that amount!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 14:14:35 »
Probably only 30 tom plants up so far. I'll need at least 20. Preferably more! I always do extra for mum and mum-in-law. (latter has absolutely no luck with seeds!) If there are still spares I'll offer them to neighbours or donate to a charity shop. I can't stand chucking perfectly healthy plants on the compost.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 15:06:41 »
I have 2 types of tomato ( gardeners delight - which were gorgeous last year, and a plum variety)
Broccoli ( already poking through)
parsley
basil
cucumber
onion (seeds)
cauliflower
potatoes chitting ( jersey royals & king edward)

flowers:
gazania

and loads more packs of seeds ready to sow ......but I haven't prepared the ground at the lottie yet !!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 16:36:52 »
Just to update I have (finaly!) got my first sowing of the year done. I always find the first one the hardest to do.  Questions like: "Have I remembered what to do?",  "What seeds first?", "Hope i do it right and not mess it up ...."etc Quiite stressfull really.

After that i am off and running, just that first one you know?

Any way I have sowed: Sweet peas, Tomatoes (4 types) Nicotiana and Calistephus (china aster).

Lots more to come though......

Peas, basil, lettuce, ................ :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2004, 16:48:49 »
I can honestly say I have never found sowing seeds a nerve wracking experience, exciting, yes, and frustrating when the little blighters refuse to come up, but I don't get nervous about it.  I have tagetes in, and sweetpeas, broadbeans, loads of south african lovlies with complicated names, red cauli and white caulis.  Now it is March, I can officially go through my seed box and oik out all of the seeds that say sow in March and start all over again!  The hardest thing for me is moderation.  Do you lot find that?  I find it hard to only sow a few seeds, wanna bung the whole pack in in one go!  Did that with digitalis last year, then spent days and days pricking out and ended up with about 20 seed trays with neat little rows of foxgloves, and did anyone want them, no! PAH!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 16:57:59 »
The hardest thing for me is moderation.  Do you lot find that?
nods. Oh yes. I'm getting better, though, after last year having forests of seedlings. (just a few more for luck, and then some!)

Agree it's exciting, not nerve racking. I only sow half a packet at a time, though, just in case they don't come up. Am worried about my Aquilegia Roman Bronze, though, there were only about 15 seeds in the packet, so I sowed them all. Better work. But then, if they don't, I can always buy some more! It's all a learning experience, so if it doesn't work, learn where you went wrong and try again!

I get nervous waiting for things to come up - bit like an expectant father (Aqui realises the gender inaccuracy of this simile) pacing up and down the waiting room. But as soon as the shoots pop up from the soil, cigars are passed round!

weekend now (it's almost 5pm!)  ;D ;D ;D Mother-in-law's taking me on our first gardening shopping trip of the year!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 17:45:41 »
oh yeah! its march - time for seed sorting! i am away for the whole of april so i'm having before or after april sowing dilemmas!

p.s. just bought more seeds too  :o

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 20:45:29 »
Hi everybody here are the sowing results from the netherlands;about 80 variaties of tomatoes and i dont now what happens with them this year but the pooked there noses after 5 days through the soil.I will take pics from them after one month,must be one green tomatojungle.Thats not all foks,then we have 10 variaties pepers,what are they slow comparing to the tommies.Outdoors i sow broadbeans,peas,early lettuce,cabbage,russian kale leeks.they are all under glass.So these are the results of the dutch sower.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2004, 22:34:04 »
Hi, Minerva,  Re Teasle seeds.  If you have some spare would love to take you up on your offer.  Is their anything you would like to swop for them?  Thanks!  busy_lizzie   :)
live your days not count your years

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2004, 14:01:34 »
My trouble is once I get going i find it hard to restrain myself.  I want to grow all sorts from seed, but on a pracrical leve can only grow a fraction of what I want due to space (or lack of). Last year i went a little mad, particularly with oenothera (evening primrose).  The seeds of this are fine and I ended up sowing loads more than i needed (i was pr*cking them out for ages!). Of corse i can never bring myself to throw seedlings away (unless I damage them), so endea up with trays every where. This on top of every thing else I had sow and needed growing on. ;D

This said i never sow a whole packed (unles there arent that many seeds in it and i need them all), but even then i seem to over do it.  I never use full or half trays, and use 'strip trays' these are strips of trays about one fifth/sixth the size of a full tray (used by nurseries for bedding plants i think).  I find they are just the right size for the quantity of seed i want to grow. Pots i find waste space in the propagator.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2004, 16:11:32 »
Ruud: You probably heard of the tanker spilling Bromine at Antwerp port? I was barred foom my plot this weekend due to that. The soil is ok but the lake alongside is still being checked out so we're all banned until next week!
Still, I spent the day in the greenhouse sowing onions, sweetpeas, lettuce and more sweetpeas.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2004, 21:54:09 »
heeheehee...oh Ruud, you sound just like you are giving points in the eurovision song contest.   ;D

ooo, and I have chillis poking through today!  Yippee

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2004, 09:44:59 »
My final variety of tom popped up to say hello at the weekend, along with about 10 sweet peas! (Aqui does the germination dance!) Nothing else new just yet, but I suppose it is rather soon since I sowed them!

note to self: learn to be more patient!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2004, 13:21:31 »
I am pleased to report some of my seeds i sowed last friday are begining to germinate already. One type was one of those 'dont cover types, so can actualy see the germination taking place, first the root then the stem and leaves. Amazing!  :)

Hopefully the rest wont be long  ;D ;D

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2004, 20:23:39 »
Did it? E .J.,lol.But serious now.I sowed some lettuce today,called black seeded simpson.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2004, 10:01:32 »
Hurrah! My chillis and peppers are up, and most of my £2.99 for the pack and only 10 seeds tomatoes are up this morning too. I am a happy girl.
Sweet peas, petunias and marigolds are up too, and my basil, although the basil seems to be giving me a bit of trouble.
Moggle
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 09:48:37 »
germination dance time again...

one delphinium was up yesterday. And my verbena seeds (which are on the compost surface) look like they are starting too wake up (tiny dots on them). overslept this morning, so didn't have time to check them today. And the mushrooms are finally looking like mushrooms rather than white fuzzy stuff, so should have a harvest soon!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 09:53:21 »
Seed Update: My tomatoes are now well on the way, with the calistephus already well advanced.

Just waiting for the nicotiana and the sweet peas now, the former are starting to show signs if I look hard enough, but no sign as yet of the sweet peas.  

I do wonder whether i soaked them long enough. Perhaps i should have tried sprouting (chitting) them first, like they showed on GW last week
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 09:54:51 by RichardF »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal