Author Topic: Aubergine seed  (Read 7184 times)

Two Choices

• Acre
Re: Aubergine seed
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 20:27:19 »
I've tried two years running in my greenhouse and whilst the seeds germinate fine, the fruits get to about 1 inch and drop off.   They are in 9 inch pots. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong would be welcome.  Thanks

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 21:14:06 »
I grew mine in half growbags last year and they were happier than in pots -probably because you've got a bit more latitude on watering feeding &c.

Sowed this years on the 6/1 -rather annoyingly I didn't record when they came up -a while ago ::)

Rosa Bianca looking a bit further on than money maker -but then it needs to be.

They all got a trip out to the greenhouse today.

Jeremy

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 01:36:17 »
Sowed 'Applegreen' from the Real Seed Co. on the 14th March (airing cupboard)... first seedling emerged 4 days later, they've been on a windowsill since then, with the last seed germinating on the 21st March.

It said 2-3 weeks to germinate, on the packet, but last year's aubergines from the same seed company (different variety) also emerged very swiftly.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 16:52:03 »
I sowed saved seed from last year's Moneymaker, and nothing happened in 3 weeks. So I bought a packet of Franchi long violet, sowed some in a 3" pot and popped them in the heated prop.

Cue the Moneymakers to grow. 

Now have three Moneymaker and a massive FIFTEEN long violets, and am about to go and prick out some of them. 

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 11:24:30 »
If ever there was a veg that tried ones patience ...  I think the Aub wins with Honours  ;D

Having read all this  ...  I like a challenge, so in they will go today ...  perhaps Mothering Sunday will bring me luck   ;D

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:31 »
I sowed Heritage Mix aubergine seeds from DT Brown on 17th this month and only one out of seven has germinated :( Has anyone tried the same seeds before? Should I be worried?
Another aubergine I sowed (small, round one) germinated in about three days.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:50 »
Feeling quite chuffed, having sown aubergines for the first time and they've germinated within a week in a heated propagator. Time will tell whether I get any fruit!They are T&M Black Enorma.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 10:50:53 »
i have found the following page very informative

http://www.turkishlanguage.co.uk/aub.htm

NoddyChelsea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 13:48:27 »
That was indeed very informative LittleGem and thankfully not in Turkish as the name might suggest :D Now all i've got to do is try and not kill the seedlings when pricking out. About 30 geminated (100% germination ;D) only 2 left now! ??? I don't think they liked the liberal applicaton of fish, blood and bone but I don't know.

Noddy.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 16:44:05 »
Thought I would just show off my first-time-ever aubergine plants.  They look a little droopy as they are probably in shock from being potted on yesterday.  I am hoping they will recover and fruit - be a miracle!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 17:22:24 »
Blooming wonderful! Sowed some a couple of days ago.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 18:17:55 »
Mine aren't showing yet nor are my tomatoes that a planted last week. (what am I doing wrong with tomatoes even)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 19:07:14 »
In what? Mine, last year, at 70F, germinated in 5 days.

But this year I can't even germinate a lettuce!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:19:49 by tim »

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 20:42:54 »
I think mine are about the same stage as yours Amanda -some anyway. They went a bit sulky after there first trip or two to the green house but seem to be past it now.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 20:44:33 »
I kept them indoors. I am pleased now though when I looked in my little plastic greenhouse I have four cabbages  that have come through.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 22:25:51 »
After the worries which gave rise to this thread, I'm almost embarrassed to say that mine is coming up like cress in under a week!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 22:33:42 »
Well I wish you would have a stern word with mine Robert!  Nuffink as yet.  Amanda, your's look fabulous!  I have biiiiig green eyes now!  :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 22:41:55 »
Wow, Amanda - when did you sow them? I envy you such healthy, compact plants.

I have 6 Red Egg and 3 Fabina which have finally decided to show themselves after weeks of nurturing, but they are only 2 cm high. If I don't lose them to slugs I'm still hoping they will someday look as good as yours. Which variety are they?

Tricia

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2006, 08:20:17 »
They're Early Long Purple 2 and were sown on 4th Feb, put under an unheated prop. and on a south facing windowsill.  I remember we did have a few days of lovely sunshine just after so that might have got them going from the start and they germinated at about 10-12 days.  I left them covered for another 2 weeks but kept them on the sunny windowsill until now when they have been moved down into the north-facing conservatory.  The heating is still only just on in there and only during the day so I am hoping this will begin hardening them a little.

I am still stunned by their growth and am keen that they continue and go on to produce lovely fruits - so any tips on what to do with them from now on would be gratefully received!   ;D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 08:53:11 »
Excellent Amanda! There are two varieties sown in my trays now -Tres Hative de Barbentane which have only produced one plant, and Long Purple which are germinating nicely off last years seed. Nothing as good as yours though.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal