Author Topic: Aubergine seed  (Read 7317 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Aubergine seed
« on: March 23, 2006, 17:53:13 »
I've just got a last-minute order from the Real Seed Catalogue, and the blurb on the aubergine packet says  that it will take 2-3 weeks to germinateat 90 degrees F, but 'a LONG time' at 80 degrees. This particular variety (Diamind) can take an extra week. Anyone had any experience of germinating thses? This particular variety is Ukrainian, adpated for short cool summers, so if I can get it started it should hopefully be OK.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Aubergine seed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 18:18:59 »
Oh, why did you land yourself??
The average aub takes 8 days @ 70F.

DO check with them - they are hugely helpful - could be an error??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 18:24:04 »
Could be - that's why I asked. I don't mind landing myself when it's only a matter of a quid or two; if you don't experiment, you never find out what's possible. My family are addicted to warm-weather veg, and I don't want the allotment taken over by greenhouses, so it's a matter of trying all sorts, and jublocks are a major item on the menu. I'll put them in later and see what happens. From what you say, they should do all right in the cupboard with the hot water tank, though I might be inclined to put them on top of it rather than underneath.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 18:41:39 »
I'm having probs trying to grow Aubergine they don't grow.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 19:04:03 »
'Trying' how??

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:03:41 »
Tim, sowing the seeds in compost and nothing coming through. Did another lot on tues/wed this week so I might get something this time.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:53:32 »
Alright - here we go - first sowing ,a day of last year's. I'll let you know how they work out.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 11:03:15 »
I can't believe mine germinated after hearing everyone's problems.....they'll probably go and die on my now!  I planted them two to a 4" pot and put them in an unheated prop on an upstairs south facing windowsill.  They took about two weeks I think although I have to say we did have a couple of days of bright warm sunshine at the time.  I took them out of the prop but on the same windowsill with just one to a pot about two weeks after that.  They are now about 5 weeks old and seem to be growing ok....but never having grown them before as long as they are alive to me they are ok!  I'm not sure what to do with them now and how big they should be before I pot them on.  And do they need pinching out like toms?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 11:32:09 »
Pinching out? The book says yes. I say no!! They have multiple leaders, which makes it difficult anyway.

Potting on? Where are they going? A 4" pot is fine until they are a sturdy 5-6", & then into the soil, 9" pots or grow bags.

They go out smaller than the peppers on the right. The aubs in the middle have been out sometime. (Last year!)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 12:25:58 »
what a neat and well organised greenhouse you have Tim. It looks great, I am very envious. ;D  I always find aubergines difficult and slow to start and rather temperamental.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 15:36:45 »
Very impressive Tim!

Gonna start my aubergines off this weekend - never grown them before, so will let you know how I go 

Getting worried they are not gonna work now!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 16:26:33 »
PS - I should have said 75F.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 17:27:56 »
My aubergines were sown on a windowsill on 2nd March.  The Black Beauty ones came through a week or so ago but the Moneymaker aubs have just sent up their first two leaves now.  They do not get a lot of the sun but the room temperature is 68ºF during the day, probably falling to about 48ºF at night.  I covered them over with a towel at night during the really cold weather.  They were much slower to germinate than the tomatoes, so I would not give up hope on your first lot of sowing Rosyred.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 17:29:01 »
None of mine have germinated yet.  VERY ANGRY!  Have sown some more today....'little fingers' and .....another which of course I can't remember!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 18:14:28 »
Wish I had a greenhouse like that too... I'll let you know if my aubergines come to anything.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 18:23:37 »
I planted mine on 7th February....and some emerged yesterday!!!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 19:25:44 »
There is hope for me yet then. I now have two varieties planted - tres hatives de barbentane and long purple. Only one of the former has germinated, and the latter has only been in the pot for a week, but one seedling appears to be peeking out.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 19:53:23 »
I've sown mine today, 5 varities.

Orissa
Bambino
Rosa Bianca
Listada de Gandia
Thai Long Green

I'll update when I have progress.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 20:04:38 »
i planted my black beautys about 2 weeks ago and obviously the wind blowing backwards has not helped them !!!

well i was going to plant some more but i might just hang on a bit yet after reading some off htese
another member of i forgot my password

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 20:19:18 »
I bought a packet of T & M's variety Red Egg and one called Fabina (can't remember where). They were sown and kept in a heated propagator on 30 January. By 6. March only 2 Fabina were showing and since the Red Egg were expensive for only 10 seeds I rang T & M. to complain. They apologised and sent me another packet - and lo and behold the very next day the Red Egg seedlings started to emerge ::) :-[ That was 6 weeks after sowing the seeds! Since then I can count 6 tiny 1 cm high seedlings, but no more of the Fabina have come through, still the 2 which came through after about 3 weeks and they are no bigger than the Red Egg. I grew Black Beauty last year, but was able to start them off in early January. I don't recall having any difficulty with germination and eventually had quite a good crop from sturdy plants.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal