Author Topic: How Deep Is Your... Slug?  (Read 2260 times)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
How Deep Is Your... Slug?
« on: March 21, 2006, 18:19:25 »
I'm going to make anti-slug rings out of old plastic 2l bottles to keep slugs out, away from my precious plug plants.  Trouble is I can't seem to find any reference to how far down they need to go. ???

Does anyone already do this, or does anyone know the minimum depth the plastic needs to go under the soil?

I found the reference to the pinking shears when I did a search, which is a great idea! ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: How Deep Is Your... Slug?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 19:20:22 »
Hi MH,

The organic gardening people sell slug collars, reading their info it says that they are pushed 4cm into the ground, so 5cm or 2" and you should be OK.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 19:55:54 »
Some slugs live underground, so it won't stop them.
There is a fact sheet here from the Soil Association that gives some info:

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/0/33183b04fb4d777b80256f65005dc51a/$FILE/Slug%20control%20Dec%2004.pdf

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 21:04:03 »
I found the reference to the pinking shears when I did a search, which is a great idea!

Hmmmmm zig zag slugs, much prettier than the secatuered (sp) variety! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:23:18 »
Good tip in the latest Organic Way magazine from HDRA. Put old planks of wood around the garden for the slugs to hide under, and turn them over in the daytime to expose the slugs, snip them in half, and leave for the wildlife to feast on. No chemicals required, just a strong stomach.

Brian

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:52:43 »
I'v'e just found a product called Snail EXIT which is a kind of glue.  You have to squeeze an unbroken circle of it round your treasured plant and then the slugs and snails get stuck and die of exhaustion trying to get free.   The other thing I shall be trying this year is Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer which is waterproof pellets containing FerroPhosphates which are not harmful to children, pets or other wildlife and break dosn into iron and phosphates and thus feed your plants.

Neither of these methods produces nasty slimy entrails or requires nightly sorties with the scissors or bucket of salt.
Obxx - Vendée France

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 13:01:56 »
And don't forget the coffee cure!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 13:14:35 »
or the wood ash
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 15:29:19 »
I started collecting coffee grounds as we always make at least oon epot of filter coffee every day but the stuff went mouldy so now it just goes on the compost with all the other fresh kitchen waste including egg shells which slugs find uncomfortable to navigate.
Obxx - Vendée France

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 20:14:26 »
Or treat yourself to £5 off the slug gizmo at http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=1824
WHILE STOCKS LAST :o :o

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 00:08:48 »
Thanks to all of you for your contributions! ;D  Plenty of suggestions for me to muse over.  Have decided to go for a multi-pronged attack on the Slugs and use several methods.  I'd read about the planks method in an old Geoff Hamilton book, so I will use that, the Growing Success Slug pellets and the Slug collars, as it will help to keep the wind off the seedlings as well.  Hopefully that will stave off the wee little bleeps!  >:( ;D ;D

Maybe Bill Oddie would be interested in having a Slug Watch this Spring...   perhaps not! ::)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal