Author Topic: confused about brassicas  (Read 2048 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
confused about brassicas
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:24:41 »
I have a range of seedlinds growing very well in the mini greenhouse, the door has been open for a couple of weeks now, so they are hardening off.  I have repotted them to 3" pots and so the next step is to transplant them to their bed on the plot, which is where the confusion comes.

These are new beds so should I add some bagged manure? (don't have access to the real stuff!)

All the seedlings have two true leaves and are starting to produce the second set of leaves.  When should I plant them out?

I have:

Greyhound cabbage
All year round cauli
Purple sprouting
Calabrese hydra
Falstaff brussels

Thanks in advance

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: confused about brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 10:51:54 »
I would not add too much manure for these at this stage, they prefer thing on the alkaline side of things and manure will lower the pH a little. Brasica also on the whole prefer firm ground, especially sprouts so after planting I firm the soil well with the heel of my foot. I also stake brussels to stop them rocking in the wind.

I would plant out in the next 2 or 3 weeks and give them a dressing of fish blood and bone to feed them. If you can check your soil pH soon and dress with lime if required, this needs to be done ideally a few weeks before planting out.

Dont forget to net against butterfly and pigeons!

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 17:42:14 »
Good thinking, Jerry.

SMP -
1. Plant as deep as you can.
2. 'Puddle' them in after planting.
3. Soak the pots before planting or they will fall apart.
4. Some say that you should cut the tap root, but with bought-in plants one never does.
5. When? As soon as the stem is 'stiffish' - like 3-4".
6. Nettting? Against flea beetle also!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 18:30:01 »
Is there a particular type of netting that is better. I mean as regards to the size of the....holes? I have 4 rolls of very cheap plastic strawberry netting which I got from poundland last year and am planning to use that. Is this reasonable idea? apologies for going a bit of thread hope you dont mind.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 18:41:08 »
Thanks for the excellent advice.

I was going to ask about netting Sarah.  I have some of the black pond stuff, should keep out the butterflys but the flea beetle???

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 18:47:17 »
yeah, I mean how big is a flea beetle? is it a flea? or is it a beetle? sounds little. ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 18:58:59 »
We need Tim or Jerry here - a flea or a beatle?? and what size mesh will keep it out??

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 19:17:12 »
yeah, I mean how big is a flea beetle? is it a flea? or is it a beetle? sounds little. ;D

Maximum size of a flea beetle is 3mm so you need pretty fine mesh i.e 0.8mm Enviromesh or similar.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 20:16:47 »
Thanks Pete

How annoyed am I that I threw out all my net curtains a few years ago >:( >:(

I have yards of muslin, but that would cut out too much light.  Oh well, I'll find a use for it soone or later.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 23:09:26 »
fleece will keep the flea beetles off, pesky little things!  I worry more about the pigeons and flutterbyes but even they have ways and means!  >:(

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:36:55 »
Googled Flea Beetle and found this:

Flea Beetles are tiny black (sometimes with yellow stripes on the outer wings) beetles about 1/10th of an inch (25 millimetres) long.

These little beetles munch their way through the leaves of seedlings and sometimes fully grown vegetables (radishes, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips and swedes seem most affected). They leave ragged holes in the leaves.

TREATMENT
Flea Beetles go for seedlings which are lacking water. The best prevention therefore is to keep seedlings sufficiently watered in dry conditions.

If a pesticide is required to control the flea beetles, try and use derris which is considered safer for vegetables compared to many other chemicals.

So the key seems to be to prevent the seedlings being stressed and they are less likely to be munched. 

What have been other A4a er's experiences - is this true.

Should this be a new thread in pest??

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 13:05:02 »
The question related to broadies, is the bean weevil like the flea beetle?
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,18627.msg192283#msg192283
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 13:08:53 by supersprout »

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 17:56:21 »
Aha, well done Supersprout, it was my broadies with the weevils and I have  just bought some derris dust for them, so will keep it handy incase of flea beetles. Its a dog eat dog world aint it?! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal