Author Topic: Asparagus Bed  (Read 4714 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Asparagus Bed
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2006, 10:07:22 »
I dug a trench and put in fifteen white asparagus roots yesterday, but I only went down one spit. I find that it works better to mulch rather than putting anything deep underneath, as the worms take it down much faster. I've buried dead leaves or geass cuttings before now, and found them still there a year later, while if I put the same quantity on top, it's gone long before then. So I put an inch or so of soil over the roots, then mulched with dead leaves. They can have grass cuttings next winter; I don't like putting horrible slimy masses of rotten grass on top of anything newly planted as it won't come through, but for autumn use it's great since there's so much goodness there.

There's more to go in today, but that was enough for one day, on top of a shopping trip and mulching onions.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Asparagus Bed
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 10:21:32 »
I'm off to plant mine now. I'm not going deep - a spit is plenty I think. Like you Robert I'm going to mulch up. I want them to end up almost in a raised bed as I believe they don't like wet feet so good drainage is imperative. I'll add some sand and manure (well rotted) and put leaf mould in the trench to keep them warm. Too early for them to appear above the parapet  here in Scotland. JAck Frost would just shoot them down. Gosh it's exciting - my very own asparagus beed at last. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal