Author Topic: chillis - am I too late?  (Read 5457 times)

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
Re: chillis - am I too late?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 00:24:57 »
All 4 of my chilli plants have come through nicely and stand about 6 inches high and not a bit of leggyness in view !

My banana peppers have no show and like you em me aub's have no show as yet

1st line of everything else is just appearring so not to many casualties at this time ! ahh speaking of which segetti squash ahhhhh legs up to and passed its shoulders lolol  TO THE BIN WITH YOU SIR ! LOL

(I HAD FORGOT ABOUT THEM ON TOP OF THE WAROBE OUT THE VIEW OF WIFE !!!)

Carl
another member of i forgot my password

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 00:43:00 »
I'm very late sowing my chillies but, having no heated propagator, I rely on a south facing window sill in an unheated conservatory.  I've not sown yet because it's been too d**n cold. With temps varying between -4 and +3.5 degrees C recently I'm still not rushing to sow.  They'll catch up in the end.

gavin.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 11:21:10 »
I sowed my chillis into a heated propagator on Sunday afternoon. The first one germinated this morning (well, overnight I guess.) I presume I should treat them the same as a tomato? At what stage can they go into my cold greenhouse? Are they best grown in pots or has anyone grown them i the ground?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 13:18:34 »
i think they like warm feet.
they will take forever if just left on the side somewhere, or simply plonked in the greenhouse.
i have a shelf above a radiator which i use to 'propagate' - once they are up, i move to somewhere cooler and light to slow things down a bit
the aubs were more reluctant but i have got more that the few plants i needed, in any case.

i am planning to plant out mid to late may - depending on the weather situation. i did them mid may last year. it's quite a sheltered and sunny spot i have.

i might also plant some out much sooner than that - i have a wallowater to test drive 8) that would allow me to plant out in mid april if i recall correctly.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 13:33:33 »
phew that's a relief. Thanks all. I shall do them at the weekend.
gone to pot :D

amphibian

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 15:06:48 »
I'm going to be sowing more peppers in the next few days, I sowed most of them a month ago, but two varities (Goldie and Boldog) failed to germinate.

I have 11 varieties (30 plants) currently.

Fushimi
Rocoto Rojo
Tepin
JalapeƱo
Italian Roaster
Tabasco
Aji Yellow
Corno de Torro Rosso
Cayenne
Purple Tiger
Thai Upright

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 13:36:12 »
i am doing hungarian hot wax for the first time this year :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 14:32:24 »
Mine are looking good too, bananas had a couple not through, all the rest are doing great, mine are from Johnsons, you know the variety packs.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 15:50:41 »
It`s not too late-even my `green finger` has turned a nasty shade of brown this season so far. Some seedlings have perked up a bit while I have been away but a major -re-sow of some is on the cards tomorrow

amphibian

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 20:31:42 »
Chilies are surprisingly hardcore, or so I have discovered recently. While I was potting on my chilies, I accidentally snapped one of the seedlings from its rootball, I discarded it onto my potting table and it must have got mixed up with the compost which was subsequently pored back into the bag. Two weeks later, while potting some more seeds, I discovered the seedling in the bag of compost, it has re-rooted in the dark. I decided to plant it next to my front door, for the hell of it, and it is still there, growing away in a rather cold March.

I presume it is a Rocoto, which are massively more hardy than the other varieties.

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 20:03:07 »
Sowed my freebie 'grow your own' chilli seeds and they still haven't germinated  >:(

I think I will try and put them a bit closer to the radiator..... :-\

Louisa xx

amphibian

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 21:31:03 »
Sowed my freebie 'grow your own' chilli seeds and they still haven't germinated  >:(

Louisa xx

How long ago did you sow them?

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 20:21:29 »

Louisa xx

How long ago did you sow them?

About 3 weeks ago...... I'm actually not sure how long they usually take to germinate ???

Louisa x

greatpalm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 20:31:33 »
Took between 3 and 4 weeks for mine to come up, so I wouldn't worry yet. Going great guns now.

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 20:38:04 »
Took between 3 and 4 weeks for mine to come up, so I wouldn't worry yet. Going great guns now.

Aha - There may be some little lovelies shooting through yet then..... ;D

Thanks!

Louisa x

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 21:15:12 »
We have germination...... ;D

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 09:40:15 »
I agree, amphibian. Chillies are really tough! I had a similar accident and my hungarian hot wax seedling was snapped completely. I saved the top bit and put it back in pot (just because I couldn't bring myself to throw it away) and it rooted about a week later and doing really well now!  ;DGood job it survived because it was the only plant I got from my Hungarian Hot Wax seeds.

I bought seeds of 10 chilli varieties and waiting for delivery. Hope it's not too late to sow from now.

amphibian

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 10:13:31 »
I agree, amphibian. Chillies are really tough! I had a similar accident and my hungarian hot wax seedling was snapped completely. I saved the top bit and put it back in pot (just because I couldn't bring myself to throw it away) and it rooted about a week later and doing really well now!  ;DGood job it survived because it was the only plant I got from my Hungarian Hot Wax seeds.

I bought seeds of 10 chilli varieties and waiting for delivery. Hope it's not too late to sow from now.

I snapped my only Boldog Hot Spice plant today, I am hoping it will re-root.

BTW I sowed my seeds in early may last year, I got pods I just brought them inside for ripening.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal